Nick's 1997 XXTeam

A forum to showcase your Barracudas.
nick

Nick's 1997 XXTeam

Post by nick »

hey everyone, im nick and im definately glad I stumbled on this site! About 7 years ago I picked up a NOS xx team... Im not exactly sure what year it is all i know is I got it for 200 bucks and couldnt pass it up at the time! :D Im 28 now and I remembered barracudas from when I was a kid cause my local shop at the time sold them and by the unmistakable tear drop top tube. See what happened was when I was in college I had a 2000 specialized rockhopper that had got stolen and I couldnt afford a brand new bike... so when I found this I was extatic. I rode it for a while, turned it into a single speed and put on some v-brakes and now Im thinking it'll be the perfect ride for my girlfriend. The barracuda has been collecting dust due to me getting a good job and buying a full array of other bikes but I could never get rid of her. The color scheme and the way it rode was too nice. Im thinking Ill put the gears back on ( still have the old yellow gripshift xray and the old school xt derailuers!) maybe a new set of wheels and hopefully my girlfriend enjoys riding !
Attachments
bike 015.jpg
bike 015.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 8093 times
bike 016.jpg
bike 016.jpg (24.92 KiB) Viewed 8093 times
bike 014.jpg
bike 014.jpg (36.37 KiB) Viewed 8093 times

sithlord3
Never leaves
Never leaves

Re: Nick's 1997 XXTeam

Post by sithlord3 »

is that a 12 or a 14?

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Looks like a 12 to me, but Muhich rode a 14 and her top tube was almost straight with the seat stays, so I'm on the fence..

nick

Post by nick »

its a 12 inch. def a little small but im only 5'6". Makes it fun to ride. It seems like everyone here restores their bikes to original, but has anyone tried to put say a 100mm rock shox dart or something similar on theirs?

cudarider1
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by cudarider1 »

I was thinking the same thing, most of the bikes look awsome and are pretty true to the period, I haven't gone that route and was thiniking about putting a hundred on the front but I keep holding back thinking that when the bikes were designed, normal hardtails were using 80 at most so I didn't want to mess up the ride. I would love to hear from soneome who tried it though.

sithlord3
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by sithlord3 »

id say 80mm max boys...prety sure the OG forks were around 60mm or so...