'93 A2Limited

A forum to showcase your Barracudas.
Rob_Bell

'93 A2Limited

Post by Rob_Bell »

I bought this bike used about 11 or 12 years ago when I was 14 or 15. From what I can tell it is a 93 A2Limited. About 5 years ago I painted the rear triangle black, but now I wish I hadn't. About 2 years ago I did a SS conversion. Now I'm facing a tough decision. I'd like to do some more racing in 2011 (I normally race road but I'm going to give mountain a try) and I'm not sure if I want to upgrade a few more bits on this bike or buy something new like a SS 29'er. Regardless, I won't be getting rid of this bike. It's been with me too long! It gets me compliments almost every time I ride.

Does anybody know what diameter seatpost these bikes take?

Mark
Founder
Founder

Re: '93 A2Limited

Post by Mark »

If it were me, I'd not race the A2L. Primary reason, it's too heavy. Secondary reason, I'd want to keep it safe and restore it back to stock.. But that's me. :)

If nobody has the post diameter available, I should be able to dig it up..

neo_pop_71

Re: '93 A2Limited - I DIG THE BLACK!

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Welcome Rob,

I too am a proud owner of an A2Limited, a great frame for whatever parts you hang, I like the black paint job! You had me mixed up when I saw the picture before I read your post, I knew the A2L frames were gold and white. I also gets comments all the time out on the trail. The best one was at my LBS, two of the "kids" (early 20's) were buggin' out on it... they'd never heard of Barracuda! I'm turning 40 soon and damn if I didn't feel old!!! They had no clue about CNC/anodized glory days pre-1995. Every trip I go in there with some other little gem, it usually blows their mind. I miss the innovation and "baby steps" of those days, it had to be functional but aesthetically cool too!

Anyway, I would upgrade the parts and get it race ready but I would stay with that frame. I say this because there is a good likelihood that 'Cuda was made by "Yeti" hands. Check my posting from a few months ago about a race jersey I bought off a veteran of the Durango scene:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48

The seller was a very nice guy named Dennis, Dennis is neighbors with Chris Herting (3D Cycles, former Yeti frame designer), it was Dennis' understanding that all the early Barracuda steel frames (late '92, '93, early '94) were made by Yeti. When times were slow at Yeti, they'd swap the frame jigs and weld up some 'Cudas. I think for what you'd spend on a 29'er, ever a used one, you could build your A2L with XTR 9 speed or something nice and still come out ahead. One way or another, I might be biased, you have a cool frame with some great history! Build it, race it, podium on it... do it for all of us Barracuda fanatics!

-DON-
Last edited by neo_pop_71 on December 26th, 2010, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Good morning Mark,

I need the post diameter on my A2Limited, the previous owner butchered the seat post and it's a little short for my liking. My LBS said it interior diameter of the seat tube was 29.93... can you confirm for me?

Thanks again as always!

-DON-

Rob_Bell

Post by Rob_Bell »

Mark wrote:If it were me, I'd not race the A2L. Primary reason, it's too heavy. Secondary reason, I'd want to keep it safe and restore it back to stock.. But that's me. :)

If nobody has the post diameter available, I should be able to dig it up..

How heavy do you think the frame is?

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Not certain, but it's not crafted of the high end tubing. I know it's double-butted, but it's not Tange. On a good note, that actually may be a good thing for racing. The Cuda team members I spoke with all told me that the factory A2X frames they were given didn't last long at all. They all started riding thicker frames made for punishment 1994 onward.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

This is for Mark and Rob Bell...

Mark, previously you said, " I know it's double-butted, but it's not Tange." when referring to Rob's A2Limited, my '93 A2L has a "Tange Double Butted MTN Tubing" sticker on the seat tube. Rob, do you remeber if yours had this same sticker before you repainted it (I know it's been a few years). I've been on a quest to nail down info on my A2L Barracuda, it seems to be something of a mystery as it was only made in 1993 and there's little to no info.

Thanks,

-DON-

p.s. Mark, by no means am I calling you out about your previous posting, trying not to step on toes as I usually do, just trying to get some clear answers as to my A2L.

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Hey Don,

No problems. This is the basis for my claim:

This image is of a Tange double-butted cromoly tubing sticker/decal.

This image is of a similar sticker/decal, obviously stating double-butted cromoly tubing, but the Tange name is absent. This image is of an actual sticker/decal on an A2L. I cannot think of any reason that Tange would leave their name off of the sticker/decal.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hi Mark,

That's the same decal I have on my A2L... you can barely make it out in the picture taken of the front of the bike, it's at the bottom of the seat tube (below the front derailleur). I also took a close up shot, so you could see if it matched what you had on file.

Thanks for the help!

-DON-

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey Rob,

Do you recall which decal your frame had before you painted it?

In a previous reply above, Mark has both types of tubing decals. I also included the decal on my frame. Do either of those look familiar?

-DON-