1993 'Cuda A2L (Limited)

A forum to showcase your Barracudas.
neo_pop_71

1993 'Cuda A2L (Limited)

Post by neo_pop_71 »

I decided when I sold my 1991 Stumpjumper that I was going rebuild my A2L with the Shimano XT 7 speed grouppo. I'm really pleased... I just cut some XTR gray housing, ran the cables, installed the Cane Creek headset with a White Brothers fork, and hit the trail. This bike performs amazingly! I always felt the XT 7 speed was hard to beat. This bike had gone through a few different build ups and this is by far the best set up! Here are the specs:

1993 BARRACUDA
FRAME – A2L (Limited)
FORK – White Brothers SC70UL
HEADSET – Cane Creek
REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano Deore XT
FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano Deore LX
HUBS - Shimano Deore XT
RIMS - Mavic 217 gold anodized
TIRES – 2.1 Hutchinson (front) & 1.95 WTB All-Terrain (rear)
BRAKES – Avid Arch Rival V-brakes
BRAKE LEVERS - Shimano Deore XT
CRANK - Shimano Deore XT 24/36/46
PEDALS – SR "Crowns" BMX
SHIFTERS - Shimano Deore XT trigger
HANDLEBAR - NOS Tioga DL2001 triple butted Tange CrMo
FREEWHEEL - AJ-AM 7 cassette (11-30)
STEM - NOS Tioga Race Ultra
SEAT POST - NOS Tioga DL2001 triple butted Tange CrMo
SEAT - SDG Bel Air titanium
GRIPS - ODI "Lock-On" Rogue
Last edited by neo_pop_71 on May 12th, 2011, 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

neo_pop_71

*HELP* V-brakes on my 1993 'Cuda A2L (Limited)

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey gang,

I've decided to tear down my brakes again, when I swapped all the XT parts off my Stumpjumper I decided to stay with the cantilever brakes because the XT shifter/brake pods were too nice not to use. However, the v-brakes are so much stronger and as much as I prefer period correct parts and keeping a grouppo together, I yanked 'em off and installed some Avid Arch-Rivals I had in the parts bin. Since cantilevers and v-brakes don't play well together, I had to get a pair of "Travel Agents" to take up the slack in the cable.

Here's my question... anyone else on here running v-brakes? If so, how'd you reroute the cables for the front derailleur and the cable stop for the v-brake? I'd like to see how others solved this problem. This topic was covered extensively on the previous 'Cuda Cycles site that Mark created but I have not come across anything on this "new" reborn version. Thankfully, I snagged some pics from before, anyone else run v-brakes this way? Different way? Please let me know, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for the help!

-DON-

mixalive

Re: 1993 'Cuda A2L (Limited)

Post by mixalive »

Nylon tubing? Great idea...
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

That's right, super simple and cheap but totally affective in solving the issue. I wish I could take credit for it but it wasn't my idea. There were some great threads on mod'ing your 'Cuda, I wish I would have had the idea to grab all the mod ideas and catalog them. That's kinda' my side project now, get an archive of little custom things to do to our 'Cudas.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Well, I had nothing better to do than mess with my Cuda after work today. I decided I was going to try something new with the front derailleur cable... I ran the housing all the way back to the cable stop and just zip tied it in place until I order a couple housing clips from Problem Solvers. I think it came out pretty well (minus the ugly zip ties), I like it better than the exposed cable and nylon tubing solution because the cable is more free to move, which improves the shifting. Oh yeah, I actually cleaned my rims so you can see the gold anodizing. :D

* The pictures above are updated from this afternoon's cleaning *

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey fellow Cudaheads,

Here is a teaser shot of my NOS Tioga stem that I bought off Ebay a short while back. The Ebay seller was mistaken when he listed the stem as a ControlTech, it's actually a Tioga Race Ultra stem. The stem arrived in a blank box, he didn't want to list the stem as "NOS" since it was missing the original decals and box. As luck would have it, I happen to have a NOS set of Tioga Race stem decals. After polishing the stem with Simichrome (those crazy Germans!), I installed the decals, and now the NOS gold looks proper with the gold paint on my A2L! My A2L is on temporary retirement, rebuilding the bike is my winter project. I've been after a gold anodized Tioga stem for years, Tioga was an early sponsor for our beloved Cudas, and the gold anodizing was/is an exact match for the A2L frames (aka 1st gen. team frame). This stem nicely completes my collection of NOS Tioga parts, perfectly suited to go with the triple butted NOS Tioga DL2001 handlebar and set post! All I need is an embroidered IRC/Sella Italia saddle and my build would be finished. It would be rather boring if the build was ever "done" as I can't seem to ever commit to any one build. As this is my winter project, I may lose the Avid v-brakes and return to the more aesthetically pleasing cantilever brakes and keep my A2Limited semi-retro.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

SWEET LOOKING !!!!
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Nice looking, but why is this showing a post from 2013?

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

He put the new stem on which is gold color and looks great with the frame color.

It does pop more than the Kore did on the bike, again SWEET !
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Thanks for the kind words! I agree with you, the proper gold stem looks so much better than the raw aluminum one that was on there. I have a neighbor that's a bit of a gorilla at times, he's always turning up if he sees the garage door open. He turns up and starts in on me about the whole gold thing, this leads him to carry on about me being Liberace. Great...