Irreplacable Barracuda :(

Ever made a decision that at the time seemed like a good one, but then later on, you realize was a huge mistake?
Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Irreplacable Barracuda :(

Post by Niika »

I had a Barracuda that I absolutely loved, but I'm not really into bikes as such (I love mountain biking itself, but never paid attention to specs, terminology, components, etc). I bought the barracuda from a small bike shop in San Francisco. Before that day I had never heard of Barracuda, and I almost bought a Giant mountain bike from a large sporting goods store before I came across the Barracuda. Anyway, to this day I cannot identify which Barracuda I had. I have never seen a picture of it, and I've seen lots of Barracuda pictures. But first I'll finish my story.

Basically, I bought this beautiful bike, which I had been told was a racing mountain bike, and I rode it around Marin county and on the trails of Upper Bidwell in Chico, CA, for 5 or 6 short months before it was stolen. And I cried, I am not kidding, that's how attached I had become to that bike.

I was devastated, and when I went to replace it, it was no longer available. I had gotten it on discount because it had been last year's model at the time. I did replace it with a different Barracuda, the A2R I believe, but at the time I was completely unhappy with this replacement and felt it was comparatively ugly and nowhere as good as the one I'd had, so I sold it soon after, and don't really miss that one even now.

I think my original Barracuda was a 1994 because they gave me the 1995 catalog which I kept and poured over for years.

Here's a layman's description of the bike I lost:

Bright metallic turquoise/ white frame

bright metallic turquoise rims, handle bar, seat post, and crank arms

rock shox Judy fork

blue/green Barracuda logo

black handle bar extenders

Something else black, maybe just the tires. The color scheme of that Barracuda was very beautiful to me, bright turquoise, black, and white, with so many shiny, colorful parts, and the wonderful barracuda logo, the perfect frame shape -- how I miss it!

I paid (if I remember correctly) around $500, and was told that I was getting a big discount.

Because I have not been able to find this bike anywhere I am beginning to wonder if the bike shop mixed up a bunch of Barracuda parts, essentially producing a custom made bike? I know it's unlikely, but it kind of seems that way to me now, even though they said nothing of the sort.

I don't even have any pictures either, so it's really sad. And my stable is empty. :( I've been riding an Iron Horse for the last 10 years, but am searching for a Barracuda. I am one of the people bidding on the COMP on Ebay right now. Unfortunately I don't have a huge budget though. And I'm not sure about the size I should get since I never observed mine, but I think it was a 16"; I am 5' 6". With other bikes I go for a bigger size though, so I am uncertain.

Anyway, that's my sad story. I guess my biggest regret is that I let it get stolen, because I certainly would never have sold it.

Mark
Founder
Founder

Re: Irreplacable Barracuda :(

Post by Mark »

The only one I can think of that was turquoise was the A2T. Here's a pic of an older one, like a 94 (the advert) and a newer 95 one. Same paint scheme..

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

If you paid $500 for an A2T in 95, you stole it :) That was the mega-deal..
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

manbeer
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by manbeer »

Let, let me know if you really want this, i will stop bidding

This may be a 14" looking at the pic, i'm not sure. I'm looking at my 16 right now and the top tube seems less sloped
92 Easton * 93 A2X * 93 A2L * 94 A2MS * 94 Comp * 95 Comp * 96 A2E * 97 A2E * 97 XX Team * 97 A2F * 98 A2FS * 96 A2T and more

Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Niika »

Yes, Mark, that has to be it, if the A2T is the only turquoise model. I've seen pictures of it before, but what threw me off was that I've never seen pictures of it with the same metallic parts, i.e. the blue handle bar, blue wheel rims, brake calipers, seat post, etc., that mine had.

mixalive, yeah, the price I paid never made sense when i later tried to figure out what bike I'd gotten, though i might have paid closer to $600, but definitely not more than that.

manbeer, thank you so much for your incredibly generous offer, but I could never accept that, and besides, I think it would be illegal! :)

Do any of you have any idea what the chances are of me finding another turquoise 94 or 95 A2T in my size (16")? I would even consider getting the frame and parts separately.

Also, this might not be the place to ask, but is 16" the correct size for me at 5' 6"?

manbeer
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by manbeer »

Niika wrote:Yes, Mark, that has to be it, if the A2T is the only turquoise model. I've seen pictures of it before, but what threw me off was that I've never seen pictures of it with the same metallic parts, i.e. the blue handle bar, blue wheel rims, brake calipers, seat post, etc., that mine had.

mixalive, yeah, the price I paid never made sense when i later tried to figure out what bike I'd gotten, though i might have paid closer to $600, but definitely not more than that.

manbeer, thank you so much for your incredibly generous offer, but I could never accept that, and besides, I think it would be illegal! :)

Do any of you have any idea what the chances are of me finding another turquoise 94 or 95 A2T in my size (16")? I would even consider getting the frame and parts separately.

Also, this might not be the place to ask, but is 16" the correct size for me at 5' 6"?

Yes, 16" is perfect. I was 5'3" when i first got mine and grew to 5'9" after. I found it was a little large at first but i grew into it and now its on the smaller end of the range for me. I prefer them small though

I think the 95 A2M had a similar color scheme as well and may be easier to come by.

I may have a frame you would be interested in, i wasn't going to sell under the circumstances i wouldn't mind. Its a 96? A2E made of tange ultimate superlight, New old stock, built up and ridden once then, disassembled. 16", silver front w forest green rear. I actually have two, this one i bought NOS, and built it for my mom but it was too big. I was going to hang onto it so i would have a nice new frame in case i needed it years down the road but if you want it i can work something out

If you don't find the frame you want let me know, i would be more than willing to help out a fellow 'cuda lover. It's just a frame but at least its a great foundation if you need a plan B
92 Easton * 93 A2X * 93 A2L * 94 A2MS * 94 Comp * 95 Comp * 96 A2E * 97 A2E * 97 XX Team * 97 A2F * 98 A2FS * 96 A2T and more

Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Niika »

manbeer wrote:
I may have a frame you would be interested in...

...If you don't find the frame you want let me know, i would be more than willing to help out a fellow 'cuda lover. It's just a frame but at least its a great foundation if you need a plan B

Hey manbeer! I definitely would be very interested in the frame you mentioned. Have you thought about how much you might be willing to part with it for? Do you have any pictures by any chance? I would PM you, but the site isn't allowing me to, I guess because I am too new still.

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

I agree with you both, a $600 A2T would have been an unbelievable deal, unless it was a return or (like my COMP), stolen and then recovered. Either way, there's a big question mark as to whether this was the bike or not, but I think it was the only frame in that colour in 1994.

The 1995 A2M is similar, but it's a newer aluminum frame. It's Kinesis 7005, the same as the frame that Manbeer is selling, so you can always respray it, turn it into the A2M and get that paint colour you liked originally..

Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Niika »

What I really need to see is the 1993 catalog. None of the bikes in the 1994 look like my original; the A2M is silver and white, and the A2T looks too dark to me. The bright turquoise picture of the A2T that you posted, Mark, is the correct color, but the one where the rider is jumping appears to be too dark to be it. If the 1993 and 1994 A2T were the same color as each other then I am again stumped, but I am thinking that the 1993 was possibly a lighter, brighter turquoise. Anyone know for sure?

I did figure out that the replacement I got was the 1994 A2RS, and I think that's when I was given the 1995 brochure.

I don't know if the bikes chart on this site is complete or not, but if it is then the choices for 1993 are pretty limited. The A2M wouldn't even be an option.

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

The bikes chart isn't 100% confirmed in 1993 and 1992, but 1994 and 1995 are complete.

The colours can look different in different lighting, so I wouldn't make a decision solely based on a picture. Perhaps we'll put this to rest when I get my hands on the 1993 catalog. :)