Nooo!

Ever made a decision that at the time seemed like a good one, but then later on, you realize was a huge mistake?
vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Nooo!

Post by vpc66 »

My Son and I went for a little ride Saturday and when we return home and unloading bikes I drop my seat for him to ride the Cuda which we had talked about before. After he had his fun I moved the seat back into place for me.......and that is when I noticed.....the Curse of the seat post crack fell on me.....Yes I cried and my son is mad(he has wanted the bike for years now,and felt it would be his in a few years or after I die) and now I guess I will have to replace it.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

mixalive

Re: Nooo!

Post by mixalive »

Welcome to my world.. Although I did that extensive repair on my XX, I would probably try just give rewelding the cracks a try.
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Thanks Mix....I was thinking about that very thing to do...and if it does not work,guess I will be on the hunt for a new frame...then again I might just pick one up because..who knows

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ctk »

Yep that is bad news. I had a repair done on a cracked Klein seattube with a bit of weld- and its held out fine.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Hummm...Lack of money,lazy or just don't care...call it what you want but I still have the crack and ride the bike. But riding around with my son is not the same as back when I rode hard trails with my riding buddies so I have not been worried about the frame blowing apart on me.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Aw man that sucks V.!!! Stinkin' Cuda curse strikes again!

If it were a steel frame, I'd say ride and watch the crack but aluminum frames were not 6061 nor were they heat treated, so that aluminum could simply snap... I'd hate to see 'ya go down and possibly hurt yourself pretty bad! Best to hang that bike up until you sort out the repair.

Best of luck!

-D-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

I understand but look how long I have gone so far. As said running around with my son is far different than when I rode with my buddies, plus I check on the crack from time to time just to see what has gone on with it.

P.S.... My thrown together single speed has been used more than the Cuda to the point when I pulled the Cuda out Saturday for a ride I had to air up the flat tires.

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ctk »

yeah I wouldn't be too worried as long as your seatpost is in a reasonable distance.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Seatpost is set more than the minimum so I would say it is ok .

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

I'd much rather have the seatpost crack than the headtube crack. I mean, you can always go out and get yourself a seatpost binder that sits on the outside of the tube like some bikes have..