wheelset

Barracudas looking for a home. Please post links to auctions, listings, etc.
rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

wheelset

Post by rbonif »

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/4129586375.html

This is a very clean 26" mountain bike wheelset.

Hubs are (front) XT M738 Parallax 110 and XT M737 Parallax (rear). Both are 32H
Rims are (front) Mavic X517 SUP eyletted and (rear) Mavic 231 Profil eyeletted
Spokes are DT Swiss SS
Skewers are XT

Totally straight and true. These are rim brake wheels. Great deal on a very nice wheelset.

$99 firm

Debating whether to grab these for future builds or upgrades to current ones. From what I can research it seems like a decent price. Any opinions?

mixalive

Re: wheelset

Post by mixalive »

I use Mavic 517's and 231's. They work great for me.
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

The bike gods must like me right now...

Today I bought a set of wheels for the tires, a pair of gumwall Ritchey Mega Bite Pro tires in very nice condition. I paid the full asking price of $30.00 for the tires, I wasn't going to haggle with the guy because he was including the wheels that the tires were on for free. The owner was a roadie, he did have some nice bikes, but he wasn't a mountain biker and could care less as the 26" set was left behind when his roommate moved out. I was stoked, I got a nice pair of vintage tires and what felt like a light weight wheelset for cheap. I cleaned up the dusty, cobweb covered wheels and was floored by what I found. As it turns out the wheels are custom built with Suntour Superbe Pro hubs laced to Mavic X231's with DT Swiss double butted spokes and a Sachs Winner Pro 7 speed hub. I've been fortunate enough to come across some really good deals over the years but this ranks right up near the top! These wheels will be ideal for my '88 Schwinn Cimarron LE, my all purpose commuter and trail bike that I restored earlier this year. Everything about the build came out great but I did not have a nice set of wheels worthy of the bike until now. I'll include a few progress shots of the before/after and get some complete photos tomorrow with the new wheels.

rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by rbonif »

grats again, do you spray your own frame or do you send it out?

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

I have sprayed my own but I prefer to let the pros handle it. I'm fortunate because I have a good buddy that owns his own high end paint and body shop plus there is a wrought iron fence guy that'll sand blast and powder coat a frame and fork for $65.00. He did the Cimarron pictured above. You won't get any crazy colors with him but for standard white though black and most colors in between he is about half the price of any other powder shop.