XX XC Barracuda Full Suspension Mountain Bike Frame ALPS4R

Barracudas looking for a home. Please post links to auctions, listings, etc.
rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

XX XC Barracuda Full Suspension Mountain Bike Frame ALPS4R

Post by rbonif »

here is one I haven't come across before.

XX XC Barracuda full suspension frame. ALPS 4R Fox air shock, Shram front derailleur included, some scratches mostly minor, seat tube. 23 " across top bar from seat post to front, center of top to center of cranks is 17 inches, top of seat tube to center bottom is 19.5 inches, 5 1/4 inch inside of rear dropouts, 1 1/8" fork tube. Text me. (562) 230-9893
Attachments
xxxc.jpg
xxxc.jpg (43.44 KiB) Viewed 10121 times

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: XX XC Barracuda Full Suspension Mountain Bike Frame ALPS

Post by vpc66 »

Sometime in the past, a post was done on this model. Sorry would have to look over old post to remember what was said about it . That design has been done by a few different bike company and I have one of those being a Schwinn s30 sweetspot...it works for XC type riding but no way a big hit bike if that is what you like.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Well done amigo, you beat me to posting that obscure XX Cuda, I saw the ad yesterday on Craigslist. The guy isn't too far from me and I'm off work today thanks to President Lincoln but I cringe at the idea of another project. Plus, that design is a bit of a pogo stick with a lot of power loss in the pedal stroke. That said, that Fox air shock was a nice aftermarket upgrade and I'm sure it improved the performance on the trail. If it was cheaper, it would be wall art. Lucky for me my bike funds are wrapped up in other builds... $51.00 yesterday for 4 "custom" Panasonic decals from the printer to finish my '88 MC7500 Prestige frame... still feeling the sting!!!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

You know I bow to you " D " but the whole reason I bought the S-30 was the fact that it did not bob. It locks out as they stated when out of the saddle for sure and just light reaction when seated, but in no way could you call me a big man and that might be why. I rode other FS mtb and they would bounce all over the place which drove me nuts coming from BMX and Road bikes, it just did not feel right !

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey brother, no sweat about the differing opinions...

I rode a Klein Mantra and a Schwinn S-30 at least half a dozen times each and I was miserable. When I rode those bikes I was still fighting in the 225 and under class and that suspension was no bueno for a Clydesdale. Granted you are much more svelte than I but I could see how it would work well for a lighter rider. I did buy a Schwinn 4 Banger (the one with the Mert Lawwill 4 bar linkage rear suspension), it wasn't a Yeti as I just missed the window, but it was a sweet ride aside from being 29 pounds of heaviness. I sold the 4 Banger and put that money right into buying my first Psycle Werks Wild Hare full suspension. It was 24 pounds of locally made goodness, ideally suited for my local trails. Both the Wild Hare and the 4 Banger frames were made with 6061 T6 aluminum but the Wild Hare could easily be set up for 3.5" or 4.5" of travel. One inch doesn't seem like much but it was amazing how much of a difference it made in the performance on the trails. Oh, and let's not forget about the 5 pound weight savings! I had the beautiful polished aluminum frame, a few years later I sold it to a riding buddy who always fancied it, he foolishly left it in the bed of his truck when he went into 7/11 and it was gone. I've yet to find another polished frame but in the interim I did buy a used gray Wild Hare for super cheap last year. I don't ride it much but there are some trails I simply can't ride with my dirt drop rigid bikes nor my hardtail Cuda, so it's worth having around for when my full suspension buddies plan a ride.

Check the stock specs on my beloved 1999 Wild Hare:

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... vmmRN238rg

Tasty right ? ? ?

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

The Wild Hair looks sweet on paper, need to bring up a picture of one, the brand and name sound familiar so my guess is I have seen one and forgot. I must say with my S-30, I bought the thing then change a number of stock parts. Even with my light weight the stock Rock Shox forks would flex like noodles...drove me nuts because the bike would dump me over when a brake pad hit the front wheel...Change from nasty Shimano rapid fire shifter and derail ( yea I know you guys like those ) to Sram 09 8 spd , Sun 0 deg rims with Xt hubs xt cassette, xt b. b. and IRC mythos tires, Thomson seat post and my beloved seat which is on the Cuda now as you know and the cure to flipping me onto my head...Manitou sxr forks with lock out ! Thing rode smooth and sweet...but I wanted something far more lite and nasty...start of the Cuda build !

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

I'm with you on the Rock Shox "noodle" fork that came on the bike, it was swapped out quickly for a White Brothers fork. When I got the Wild Hare last year I swapped out "the noodle" for a Marzocchi Bomber that I had sitting around. The Bomber has proven to be a winner as it matches the rear suspension nicely. If I can find another White Brothers locally I'll get it and really be in the chips... no good deals lately and I won't buy sight unseen.

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

I'm always a little interested in snagging one of these FS designs, but man, they're made of heavy tubing..