Original forks?

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
mixalive

Original forks?

Post by mixalive »

I saw where someone said these might be a gem someday. I still have mine from my A2M. Complete with some of that 16 year old Texas caliche dirt.
Attachments
fork.jpg
fork.jpg (253 KiB) Viewed 5704 times
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

neo_pop_71

Re: Original forks?

Post by neo_pop_71 »

If you're looking to sell them, you should list them in the MARKETPLACE forum but don't bother because I want them!!!

My A2L was rigid, then suspended with a 88mm Manitou Mars carbon (screwed up the geometry with too much angle and rake), right back to rigid... if I could ever get my matching gold White Brother UC70 suspension fork threaded... that would be king! The early steel frames don't handle as well with a long suspension fork, the geo is designed around the rigid fork. I've tried a dozen suspension forks with various travels and the Manitou cnc forks (like 1, 2, 3, 4, or Comp) have 55mm to 65mm and that seems to be the ideal. I can pre-load the White Bros and get it down to 65mm and that should be perfect. If they're rigid, keep 'em rigid... you can't beat the handling of a straight rigid ford... like a knife!

-D-
Last edited by neo_pop_71 on January 27th, 2011, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Neo, you got any Manitou's to trade?
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey Mix,

I have a 1" threaded Manitou 2 with the "hard/hard" spring replacement, so it is basically rigid. Obviously, that won't help you but if I had that dented Manitou fork that was on the 'Cuda Comp we were all watching on Ebay, I would "hard/hard" spring it and run it as a rigid on a singlespeed. Answer made some of the sweetest BMX forks ever, my favorite fork was the Answer Pro Forx, pro all the way (even if I wasn't 8-) ). I'll attach a pic of the Answer Pro Forx and my Answer Manitou 2 fork. Doing that conversion is a great way to salvage and continue to use a great CNC'd fork, Easton 9 (9000 series) aluminum is too nice to junk!
(I'm only writing this in hopes that whoever won the 'Cuda Comp on EBAY does not trash the Manitou fork.)

I also have a Manitou Comp that is original and funtional because the '92 GT Timberline belonged to my brother-in-law and he only road it to college. Kinda sad actually, he bought a nice Japanese made GT, upgraded to the $400.00 Manitou Comp fork and it never saw a dusty trail. Oh well, his deal. The fork is 1 1/8th threaded so it be be perfect for an early 'Cuda.

Let me know if you need it.

Peace'fo'real,

-DON-

p.s. I'm in the process of turning his GT Timberline into a dirt drop (bar) bike ala King Johnny T., my hero!!! That's why I need your rigid fork... it'll look just as beefy as J.T.'s Yeti FRO fork! I'm getting happy!!!