Looking for a fork for the A2T

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Re: Looking for a fork for the A2T

Post by Niika »

mixalive wrote:Opening up the shifters is what I consider normal maintenance. To replace a cable, the shifter has to be opened up.. Not a good sign, Niika..

Yeah, no kidding. I remember the maintenance video you posted on the other thread. I think I'll go in first thing in the morning and stop him; he said he was going to start work on it in the morning.

Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Niika »

Well, I collected my bike and took it to another bike shop that I feel batter about, but both shops say it's totally unnecessary to open a shifter to change the cables. They said they just thread them through without opening it.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Right.. I stand corrected. But proves your new technicians are on their toes..
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Niika »

Well, I still appreciate your warning, mix. Without it, I would have left the A2T with that guy I didn't trust, and he probably would have messed it up. Believe it or not, it took courage to go in and get it before he'd worked on it, but I'm glad I did. I should be picking it up from the other shop tomorrow.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I have had the handlebar shifters on two different bikes lock up due to solidified lubricant. One was 10 years old and the other 16 years old. When I took them apart and re-lubed, both of them became operational again. My point being, it is hard to screw them up.. (Refering to your first technician's statement..)
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Niika »

Thank goodness! I was really worried there for a bit! Luckily the new technician seems much more confident. He says he's even rebuilt the internal workings of shifters in about four hours before.

Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Niika »

These bike people really bug me... but rather than going into all that, I will say that I got the A2T back, and it's fully functional, shifters and all. I rode it for the first time and it felt GREAT! It's been so long, it even surprised me! It really is far superior to any other bike I've ridden. Now I just need to convince manbeer to sell me his extra A2E frame so I can have an ongoing project to keep posting about! ;) And I'll post pictures of the A2T soon.