1993 Barracuda A2X

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
cudarider1
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: 1993 Barracuda A2X

Post by cudarider1 »

WOW! that looks awsome, I can't believe you made those decals out of the scans, the whole thing looks great. What parts do you still need to get?

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ctk »

Thanks! But I'm getting the decals done again! To try and get the green to match the frame perfectly and do something a little different with the tyre trackk logos. I can't take credit for the decals a someone from Retrobike.co.uk (user BobCatMax) did all the work -he is a designer by trade and did it on his lunch hour (well pretty much) I'll upload the scans to this site as soon as I can.

I have all the parts but thinking I'm going to change some. Maybe change the stem to something a bit shorter. I'm also having some probs with the Topline cranks- possibly a bent spider. As well as this I'm trying to decide whether I should clear coat on top of the decals.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey ctk,

Every Topline and Cook Brothers crank that I've had has required some "massaging" of the Chainrings to not have chain rub. Some have had bent spider issues and other have had issues with the square tapers not being exact so it seats off center on the b.b. spindle.

What's the issue?

Are you close or is it extreme?

If you are close and you can seat the cranks snugly on the b.b., I say get a good quality (large) crescent wrench, tighten the wrench on your chainring and start bending it back opposite of the "rub" points. Yes, you are bending a perfectly good chainring but if your tapers or spider are messed up, this is the only way to salvage the crank. I had to do this recently with my Cook Brothers crank. The Cooks are on my Smorgasbord, you can see them on the "Off-Topic Chat" thread on the index page, I start a thread for what others bikes you ride when not riding your 'Cuda. That Smor hardtail took me 8 or 9 months to pice together, it was something else every step of the way! I feel your frustration but hang in there, it'll be so worth it!

Good luck!

-DON-

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ctk »

Thanks for the encouragement Don! Too busy to do much about it at the moment but I've tried a different chainset on it and I think it may be the BB heres a pic

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Agreed, that A2X looks sick!! Congrats on what you've done so far..

If it were me, I'd clear on top of the decals when you're happy with the colour choice.

I keep coming back to the Scott shock, I think it makes a great addition to the bike..

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Just stumbled upon this; hope it doesn't affect you!

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml96/96080.html

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ctk »

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission, Scott USA Inc. of Boulder Colo., is voluntarily recalling approximately 13,600 "Unishock" suspension forks. The forks may crack or separate, causing a rider to lose control of the bicycle and fall.

Scott USA has received 640 reports of incidents of these model forks cracking or separating, eight of which resulted in injuries. The injuries reported have included two concussions, two separated shoulders, one laceration, and three abrasion injuries, or "road rashes."

The forks have the "SCOTT" logo on the side of each fork leg. A sticker on the front of each leg reads, "UNISHOCK" with the designation "S", "LF", "VR", "TX" or "R."

Ha! You know I'm not sure if affects me or not, My fork says Scott on it but there is no "UNISHOCK" with the designation "S", "LF", "VR", "TX" or "R." I know my fork is one of the early ones I think 92 as it has a coil shock rather than the upgraded elastomer kit. Maybe they tried to lighten it and the newer forks were too light?

I have been considering running a rigid fork anyway- I snagged a set of original Spinner Barracuda forks for £6! on ebay UK. The Scott forks look good but on the 'bounce on the bars see what happens' test they fail (Scott fork says: "you want me to bounce back right? what now? OK OK give me a second!" However I have a set of the Scott elastomer bumpers which I might as well try. The forks could be perfect for my intended road & light trail use!
Last edited by ctk on January 7th, 2011, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ctk »

Mark wrote:Agreed, that A2X looks sick!! Congrats on what you've done so far..

If it were me, I'd clear on top of the decals when you're happy with the colour choice.

I keep coming back to the Scott shock, I think it makes a great addition to the bike..

Thanks again Mark this frame really deserves a good build it oozes quality/coolness or something I can't put my finger on! I want to do it justice- but I also want a bike that I can ride everyday.

Clearcoat on top of the decals yep I want to get this done when the new decals arrive. The build changes in my mind all the time but the frame I want to look perfect.

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Well you know, as your build progresses, my frame comes to mind and it lights a fire in me. I'm glad we're going in different directions on this too; I'll be sticking as close to factory as I can. Our bikes will compliment each other for sure, but in a Cain and Able way.. ;)

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ctk »

No doubt you A2X will be super cool & if you go to the lengths that you did with your Team it'll be off the scale! I've just had a baby and I'm moving house soon- there is a strong chance you'll beat me to the Finish Line! (BTW if you find any Finish Line chainstay protectors pencil me in for 1!)