1993 Barracuda A2X

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

1993 Barracuda A2X

Post by ctk »

This NOS Barracuda frame was flagged up on Retrobike.co.uk's Auction Watch page.
I swooped in and within 2 weeks it was over here in the UK.

Its a 16" and the frame number is B1389.

I plan to build it up period correct ish... M900 Judys and any other nice bits I can find cheap!
Last edited by Mark on September 10th, 2010, 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Cleaned up topic

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Barracuda a2?

Post by ctk »

I got in touch with Chris Herting to see if it was one of the frames he made for Barracuda. How cool would it be to have a Chris Herting built frame?!

Sadly he thought probably didn't build it as he only built prototypes and team frames and didn't remember the frames being green and white only gold and white.

Also all the team frames he built had the riders name or nickname stamped on the BB.

Now I'm sure its a US built frame but who built it?

The Craigslist ad said Yeti Built & the seller picked up 2 frames from the infamous Barracuda sell off. He was pointed in the direction of the sale by a Yeti employee (a friends dad) who said it was a chance to pick up a Yeti built frame cheap...

Mark
Founder
Founder

Re: Barracuda a2?

Post by Mark »

Could be Yeti or Control Tech, if Chris said it wasn't one of his..

It's definitely a 93 A2X tho.

Mark
Founder
Founder

Re: 1993 Barracuda A2X

Post by Mark »

By the way, for what it's worth, your seller was the same as mine, when I picked up my own 93 A2X. ;)

sithlord3
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by sithlord3 »

Very cool....be sure to ride that thing....dont see many '93 Cudas around.....

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ctk »

Mark wrote:By the way, for what it's worth, your seller was the same as mine, when I picked up my own 93 A2X. ;)

What a coincidence- he did say he bought 2 from the closeout sale. A really good guy.

On Bikepedia it lists this frame (& nearly every other 93 bike) as being made of Aerolite Cromo. Anyone know anything about Aerolite? Or where Bikepedia are getting their info from??

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

ctk wrote:
Mark wrote:By the way, for what it's worth, your seller was the same as mine, when I picked up my own 93 A2X. ;)

What a coincidence- he did say he bought 2 from the closeout sale. A really good guy.

On Bikepedia it lists this frame (& nearly every other 93 bike) as being made of Aerolite Cromo. Anyone know anything about Aerolite? Or where Bikepedia are getting their info from??

Bikepedia is bullshit. Don't trust that. These bikes were Tange Prestige Ultimate, as says Yeti and 3D Racing. Take that to the bank. Now, it's not the superlight, that the 94 frames were, those were a bit too light, and they scaled back after the racers started breaking them.

neo_pop_71

Re: 1993 Barracuda question - Chris Herting

Post by neo_pop_71 »

I'm curious, can anyone clear this up for me...

Back on 9/10/10, ctk wrote, "I got in touch with Chris Herting to see if it was one of the frames he made for Barracuda. How cool would it be to have a Chris Herting built frame?!

Sadly he thought probably didn't build it as he only built prototypes and team frames and didn't remember the frames being green and white only gold and white."

Does that mean that my 1993 A2L (Limited) was made by Chris Herting? It's white and gold, no other year was the A2L made and only in that color scheme. I would love to know, anyone have any answers?

Thanks for your time!

-DON-

Here is a link to Velospace, the first image is how it looked on Craigslist the mornig I picked it up (I know, nice mismatched crank), the other picture is stripped down with a SPIN wheel but not cleaned or polished yet. I'm rebuilding it right now, pics to follow.

http://velospace.org/node/23075

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

It wouldn't be a Herting frame, 3D didn't fabricate anything except for some prototypes and race frames, so rule them out.

Yeti was crafting early frames, but I'm told that there could have been a contract with a company called Framesmith for a limited time. I'll keep digging.

Mark
Founder
Founder

Re: 1993 Barracuda question - Chris Herting

Post by Mark »

neo_pop_71 wrote:I'm curious, can anyone clear this up for me...

Back on 9/10/10, ctk wrote, "I got in touch with Chris Herting to see if it was one of the frames he made for Barracuda. How cool would it be to have a Chris Herting built frame?!

Sadly he thought probably didn't build it as he only built prototypes and team frames and didn't remember the frames being green and white only gold and white."

Does that mean that my 1993 A2L (Limited) was made by Chris Herting? It's white and gold, no other year was the A2L made and only in that color scheme. I would love to know, anyone have any answers?

Thanks for your time!

-DON-

Here is a link to Velospace, the first image is how it looked on Craigslist the mornig I picked it up (I know, nice mismatched crank), the other picture is stripped down with a SPIN wheel but not cleaned or polished yet. I'm rebuilding it right now, pics to follow.

http://velospace.org/node/23075

What's the serial number on that A2L?