A2R Restoration

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
wintermute

A2R Restoration

Post by wintermute »

Now that I've found this site and realize that the chances of seeing another 'cuda out and about is incredibly small, I think I'll go ahead and do a full restoration on my A2R as opposed to just a basic overhaul-tune to get riding again.

I've posted a couple pics over in the Serial Numbers section.

The question becomes, refurbish, replace with same, or upgrade parts?
Some parts will need to be replaced though, as I absolutely destroyed the grip shift/brake assembly on the left side in a bad wreck back in college and replaced with the cheapest stuff I could get at the time. I'll post that story up in the the appropriate place.

mixalive

Re: A2R Restoration

Post by mixalive »

Well.... :roll: All who knows me, know I am a fan of restoring close to stock. But I have to say this. I own a 95 A2R very similar to yours and am debating the restoration as well. Not to put yours down: I dislike the grip shift system all together. That will be the first thing I off on mine and will replace with LX or XT shifters. Another thing is mine has a steering stem that rivals the dogbones on Wyatt's Captain America Harley in the Easy Rider movie. :roll: It will be going away. My paint is highly oxidized so probably needs repaint. But if it culd be buffed out or have shot with clear, that's what I would do.
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

wintermute

Post by wintermute »

mixalive wrote:…I dislike the grip shift system all together. That will be the first thing I off on mine and will replace with LX or XT shifters.…

The GripShift system was one of my favorite features of the bike, having this cheap replacement always kinda bugged me, not as much as being the reverse order as the original though!

The replacement stuff:

If you want to sell the parts off, I might be interested in buying those from you. I imagine there's not a lot different between '95 and '96 on those.

Here's some rust pics:
Underside

Standover

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Yep. Looks like a repaint.. But you know.. I kinda like the beat up look.
I think my grip shifts are original. The right one seems to have some scuffing. But they both work. I will take some pictures and post on this thread for you. Do you have your old original units?

On the year models: My bike looks exactly like yours. They may be the same year model. I will compare our serial numbers.

wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Thanks Mix. Now that you mention it, the bike does look tougher all beat like this. What's not evident in the pics is how faded the decals are.

The original for right/rear is still on the bike. The original for the left/front is long gone, I destroyed it in my worst bike wreck ever.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I know the bottom of the down tube might look bad but no one see's that. The paint on the top tube looks pretty good except for the rust spots. If it were me, I would try some fine rubbing compound on one of those spots to try to clean the paint of the surrounding rust stain. If it cleans it up and just leaves the rust pit, you may be in business. Try to clean the rust pit out a bit and dab some lube on the pit to try to retard the rusting. If that works, buff the whole thing out and wax it. I use this expensive compounding product from 3M called Finesse It. It is actually designed to take paint or clear coats from 1500 sanded to shine. Pretty bad ass stuff, but expensive. Have to purchase from a body paint jobber like Tasco. You might be able to get a few years out of the paint before you have to repaint.

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

You're getting great advice, but I'll speak for the other folks that want to see yet another kick ass restoration!!! :)

wintermute

Post by wintermute »

So I took lots of pics of the decals with rulers tonight so I have plenty of reference for size and placement. I'm planning on dropping the frame and fork off to be media blasted this weekend. (assuming the shop can fit the frame in their booth)

I also found plenty of rust inside the tubes :( Luckily nothing seems to be anything more than surface rust, but we all know rust never sleeps. I might try to find some aerosol POR-15 or similar to spray in there, but the tight access might kill that idea.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

What about an acid dip at like a chromer. That would get the rust out.

wintermute

Post by wintermute »

mixalive wrote:What about an acid dip at like a chromer. That would get the rust out.

The shop I called today just said it would only rust again. I figure I'll just have to use some rust-converting primer on my own. Not a big deal, just a little more effort on my part.