A2R Restoration

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
neo_pop_71

Re: A2R Restoration

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey,

I can add some info to this rusty discussion, God knows I've messed with enough surface rust on my '57 F100, I was turned onto this product and it works awesome for what you're needing to do. The rust miracle worker is Jasco Rust & Prep, here is a link:

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=103&prodid=221

Grab yourself some gloves as it can splash, an inexpensive/disposable brush (I used a chip brush), and a small open top container. Simple slap the Jasco on all the rusty bits and let it sit overnight (if you can). In the morning all the rust will be workable metal again. I used a metal brush before the Jasco to get off any rust flakes, after the first coat of Jasco I used the wire brush again, and then I did a second coat and let that sit. The following morning I started sanding the metal, I kept going until I had a nice surface for a buildable primer. It truly couldn't be any easier! You're not removing the rust as much as you're converting it back into metal... old steel dream come true!!!

Good luck!

-DON-

p.s. Take some process pictures (if you choose to use the Jasco) along the way, so we can see how yours comes out... thanks!

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I was doing this restoration on a 79 454 El Camino in early 2000's. I removed the front section (that holds the headlights and radiator) and found battery acid rust way deep in the cracks that sandblast couldn't reach. I poured muratic acid (swimming pool acid from Home D.) in the cracks, let it set for 5 minutes then rinsed it out with water (at a distance of course). Once dried, I poured that POR-15 BlackCoat into the cracks and that dude is still driving that hotrod around.
If you heat that POR up real good, you could inject pretty easy into those little holes in the frame.
Attachments
por.jpg
por.jpg (13.25 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

wintermute

Post by wintermute »

Thanks for the tips, guys!

I wish I could get POR-15 locally. Home D. had some Rustoleum Rust Reformer aerosol, which would be fine, except I'll never get the nozzle in a position that will work. I did pick up some Krud Kutter rust remover from wally world. This stuff contains phosphoric acid :ugeek: I just hope it doesn't eat duct tape!

I figure I'll blast as much out of the tubes as I can with my compressor, close off one end (tape!) and pour in the chems on the other. Then close that end off and slosh it around to attempt to coat the entire inside surface…one tube at a time

Also, does anybody think I should restore the "Made in Taiwan" sticker while I'm at it?
It's at the base of the head tube.