questions

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
spokane95a2v

questions

Post by spokane95a2v »

i have a 95 a2v i like the bike but... I need some info, What kind of bottom bracket and crank set do you need. and i think the steerer dia. is 1 1/8 is this right. this may go against all the barracuda purists out there but i was wondering if one could put a single gear crankset on and use the eight gears behind i pretty much ride in town and dont even use the two smaller cranks begging for punishment but i manage I like less options plus i would love to swap out the front shock for a rigid one any suggestions.

any help would be great
nick

Mark
Founder
Founder

Re: questions

Post by Mark »

Hey Nick,

1 1/8" is correct for the steerer. Yes, many SS people will use a single chainring on the crank, though they usually use a single gear in the rear too. I don't see any problems with using 8 back there and a derailleur. You can find forks all over the place, even some Barracuda ones come up for sale now and then.

Best,

Mark

spokane95a2v

Post by spokane95a2v »

thanks for the info I have just purchased the parts i need to complete the swap out I will try to get some pics up when I get finished. I think the parts will fit nicely. sunlite bull horn bars, tec9 single gear crankset, black rigid 26" fork.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey Spokane,

My A2L has seen numerous builds over the years... for a long time I ran an XTR 8 speed trigger shifter with a XTR long cage rear derailleur and a 12-28 cassette with 38 front chainring. It was perfect for all I needed as far as light trail (fire road) and around town on pavement... I'm sure you're going to dig the 'Cuda set up, it's a great frame and there are times when less is more! Good luck and let's see those progress pics.

Peace,

-D-