1995? A2E Rebuild-Image heavy!!

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
David128

1995? A2E Rebuild-Image heavy!!

Post by David128 »

Here is a bit of a run-down of my A2E project so far.

Frame as received

Another pic showing some surface rust on the frame the rest of the pearl paint on the rear was well useed.

Mag 21's stripped cleaned & resprayed waiting new decals.

NOS Barracuda branded stem mated with the Cuda bars received on the bike.

I have a very specific colour scheme in mind for the bike, that I am sure will emerge during this thread. Found some bar ends. Liked the shape, the colour didn't match so removed the purple anno and polished them.

Replacement seat post.

Cook Bros cranks & Chainrings. I think the CNC machined on the chainrings are cool.

NOS M900 XTR shifters and Canti brake set.

Complete M900 XTR Groupset

With most of the parts collected the frame went off to the chromers to get a new coat of Satin chrome.

Its now off at the powercoaters getting a cany red back end and a clearcoat over the whole lot, as per the original paint scheme.

Just need to get the decals sorted out here is what I have drawn up so far.

Hoping that cudarider1 can help with a scan of the head tube decal from his set, then I can arrange to have them printed.

I need to sort out some wheels, seat & grips. Any suggestions or thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

Mark
Founder
Founder

Re: 1995? A2E Rebuild-Image heavy!!

Post by Mark »

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one turn out. I gave you my head tube decal, hope it helps!

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey David128,

Looking great so far ! ! !

If you don't mind me asking, where in the world did you find some NOS, period correct, XTR components? Was it crazy expensive or did you come up on a smokin' deal? I gave up trying to find any of that and what I found was cost prohibitive, so I simply started gathering the "grey" XTR that I loved so much. Do you know (or maybe Mark if you read this) what grouppo came on the A2E? With a $1,299.00 retail price in 1995, I could see the A2E coming with some or all XT grouppo but I remember a price point near $2,000.00 for an "XTR" bike. I upgraded my wheelset on my '94 Zaskar to XTR hubs with Mavic hoops and it set me back $500.00. I also upgraded my fork Scott suspension fork at the same time to a Manitou, that Mani cost $400.00. XTR was true "race" level and the price alone kept it somewhat exclusive. I know I could only afford to upgrade one piece at a time when my XT got tired. I guess, I'm still green with envy, anyone who's rollin' on "silver/gray" XTR has a champ ride in my mind.

Looking forward to seeing this beauty when it's all together! I really appreciate you building it and so generous of you to donate it to my stable... I can't thank you enough. ;)

-DON-

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

The 95 A2E was LX with Grip Shift SRT-600 shifters.

cudarider1
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by cudarider1 »

Really nice job so far, can't wait to see the finished product. I just PMed you about the decals, you're welcome to any of them that can help as long as you continue to post picture updates!

cudarider1
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by cudarider1 »

What does the frame weigh all stripped down?

David128

Post by David128 »

Thanks for the encouragement have been working away but back now and back into it.

neo_pop_71
The XTR bits took a bit of searching to find NOS but I have been collecting them for almost 12 months now and I hope the bike deserves them when finished. Oh and I am glad you think I could help fill that empty spot in your stable. :lol:

Cudarider1
Sent you an-mail re the decals that would be a great help. When I have them all drawn up as vector files I will send them to Mark for addition to maybe a central database.

Frame weighs 1950g on the 'small 50kg' scale at work so I don't know how accurate that is but its still light for a 15yo steel frame. I have a newer Sintesi Snake frame in ally that weighs more!

Got some more parts while I was away.
Just waiting for the red ones to match.

One small problem with the cable ends was that they did not fit tight enough in the cable stops for me so I will have to machine some adapters/spacers up from black nylon.

What I need now is a saddle, rear cluster, chain, bottom bracket and some wheels.

I am looking for a red leather Flite style saddle so if anyone can help wtih one or know of one around it would be much appreciated and I am open to suggestions for the wheels. ;)

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ctk »

No corners cut! I am impressed with how much work you are putting in & really looking forward to seeing this built up- especially the decals as I have to make some myself.

David128

Post by David128 »

Bit of an update, almost 12months since the last but.....

She's Finished :lol: :lol:

Got my bum into gear sent it off to the powder coaters and had a cherry red put on the rear of the bike, not the original finish but as close as I could get. I was a bit dissapointed that they didnt follow instructions and the finish was too far along the tubes. But hey thats life the overall result came out pretty good anyway.

A Few shots as she went together

And then just like that.

Some shots of the detail.

Now remember I said I had a color scheme in mind when I started can anyone guess what it was???

Tight on for time right now. There is some more shots to come and a real interesting peice of Barracuda history for us here in Australia.

cudarider1
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by cudarider1 »

Looks great!