Rear Cantilever brake install

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
DPDISXR4Ti
Regular visitor
Regular visitor

Re: Rear Cantilever brake install

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

neo_pop_71 wrote:Look how far around the backside of the seat tube the donut is welded on my A2L, a straight line through the opening points down to the rear derailleur! How can that be the proper angle for a center pull brake? Plus, the angle of the opening set against that interior edge of the donut acts like a razor in stressing and eventually cutting the brake cable... pretty stupid design!

It's such a bad design I wasn't sure what it was there for! And then even once I understood, I never gave it any consideration. The one thing I could have done, and considered doing, was to fabricate a spacer/adapter so that I could have used that bolt-on yoke that I used on the previous frame. But I've already invested too much time trying to get this thing built. At this point, "good enough" is indeed good enough.
Brad

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

One good thing about mine being a second generation...plus the cables are switched around and V-brakes. Looking at the pictures of early frames I thought the mount look different to mine. Sometimes trying to be different is a bad thing, because that old Specialized frame I used for my singlespeed has the canti cable arch like most of the bikes from that time and the cable run on it is very clean, the canti brakes just suck compared to the V's on the Cuda....and if I had the chance to ride a bike with disc I am sure I would feel the same about the v's. Evolution is funny that way!
Attachments
hh.jpg
hh.jpg (37.77 KiB) Viewed 15439 times
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

DPDISXR4Ti
Regular visitor
Regular visitor

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

vpc66 wrote:the canti brakes just suck compared to the V's on the Cuda....and if I had the chance to ride a bike with disc I am sure I would feel the same about the v's. Evolution is funny that way!

Yep! When I realized I wasn't going to be able to make things work with what I had in front of me I briefly considered just getting some XT V's so that I'd have the same stuff on both of my Mtn Bikes. But I'm kinda digging the purple components against the black frame, so I decided to stick with it and get the bits I needed to make it work. I should have this as a functional bike by next week!
Brad

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

I like v brakes more than the canti brakes but Neo posting pic's of bikes he has built got me hung up on single speed bikes and in doing so I did a old specialized mtb frame and wanted to keep it somewhat vintage style ....nice QUIET ride....My wife hate it when I am staring at his build pictures because she just know that the squirrel is spinning the rusty old wheel !

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

vpc66 wrote:...My wife hate it when I am staring at his build pictures because she just know that the squirrel is spinning the rusty old wheel !

Is that code for makin' the sweet lovin' ? ? ?

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

HAHAHAhahah....NO..... :lol:

DPDISXR4Ti
Regular visitor
Regular visitor

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

neo_pop_71 wrote:The rear canti brake on these frames is the only gripe point for me! The housing doesn't even get braced, the housing stops a few inches behind the head tube with a cable stop on the top tube, then the fully exposed brake cable runs the length of the top tube and through the donut to eventually pull the brake straddle.

Okay, all my parts arrived yesterday and I'm trying to figure this out. The part that is confusing me is the lack of a rear cable stop, so you can't run a typical short housing that would go in place between the rear cable stop and the Surly hanger. Do I just run a long length of housing between the back side of the front cable stop and the Surly hanger? That seems like the only reasonable solution.
Brad

DPDISXR4Ti
Regular visitor
Regular visitor

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Done!
Brad

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Brad, your Cuda looks great! It's just the right mix of colors and yours being only the second Cuda that I've seen with an AMP fork... it really stands out! I like the use of the Surly hanger so much more than that lame frame donut, I think I'm going to order a couple to keep around as spares for the next build.

Really diggin' it man, nice job!!!

-D-

p.s. Maybe have some tire tread decals made for the frame to match your colors?

DPDISXR4Ti
Regular visitor
Regular visitor

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

neo_pop_71 wrote:Brad, your Cuda looks great! It's just the right mix of colors and yours being only the second Cuda that I've seen with an AMP fork...

Thanks. I almost sold the AMP fork and just put a solid one up front, but I've owned the AMP fork for 20 years now - I've grown sorta attached to it.
Brad