Marzocchi forks ?

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
neo_pop_71

Re: Marzocchi forks ?

Post by neo_pop_71 »

zoltanka79 wrote:Hey vpc66, what did you do with that marzo? I'm asking, because i I found an cx60 for sale(needs some tune up), for about 15 bucks. Are they reliable? Thinking about swaping it with my Manitou 3, until I buy a new pack of elastomers.

The Manitou forks were the performance choice forks back in the day, I spent $400.00 on Manitou Comp fork (in 1993 I think) for my GT Tequesta. If you rode your bike, then your fork died, end of story... elastomers suck!!! However, you have a couple options, go stock and replace the elastomers knowing they will fail down the line, or use a spring. When I rebuilt my Comp, I used a Post Moderne suspension seatpost spring and it came out beautifully. After taking the internals out and cleaning everything (nasty job since your elastomers likely "melted"), install the spring in the fork leg with the adjuster knob, combine the best elastomers from both fork stacks and make one good elastomer stack for the opposite leg. I took a chance and it worked out, no promises, but I don't see why it couldn't work. Here is a link to the spring, $9.99 with free shipping, better than $63.00 for repop rubber donuts!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spare-Spring-Po ... 2324574e78

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Answer-Manitou- ... 33850f99e7

Good luck and keep us posted!

-DON-

zoltanka79
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by zoltanka79 »

Neo_pop_71, I will try to do that upgrade since i do have a leftover spring from an old cheap fork. Hopefully it's going to work. Yeah, when I cleaned the Manitou, I noticed that the bottom elastomers were melted, firs I didn't know that those were actually elastomers, thought that is grease. Besides the 2 bottom ones, the rest of them are in decent shape, so I will use them in one of the legs(I suppose it's for dampning). The elastomer kit would cost about 80usd with shipping to Romania, maybe that's to much. What kind of grease did you use for lubing in the legs, both elastomers and spring?
Zoltan

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

I used a combination of Phil Wood bearing grease (similar to what was in the fork leg) and a few drops of the Phil Tenacious Oil and it was ultra smooth. My buddy did a similar rebuild and only used the Phil grease and his came out great too. I have not gone without a tube of Phil grease in my bike box for at least 15 years... it is that good!!! Headsets, wheels, even a film of it on the stem, seatposts, watewr bottle bolts... everything is better with Phil (that's what a buddy said, but he was gay and his partner's name was Phil)!

Good luck!

-D-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Just a bit to far with the good points about Phil, THANKS for not talking about Phil's lube injector that Sir would have been to much!
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey vpc,

Which one do 'ya mean?

The big guy manly man injector...

or the pre-pubescent one aka the Lil' Phil...

or

... is this the injector you're looking for ? ? ?

(DAMN! I MAKE THESE LOOK GOOD ! ! ! )

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Uhhhh...I knew that I would pay for that comment with your sick humor ( you know I would NEVER say or post something so sick )...take bets on how long it will be before T clears it off ???

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Don't you worry brother... I got Sheriff Mixalive sorted out already!!!

zoltanka79
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by zoltanka79 »

:lol: You guys are sick! :lol: Now i'm affraid to use phil grease.
Zoltan

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

....... :shock: .............Not sure what to say now, guess Mix could say that was his Concert attire !

I feel the Sheriff will lay down the law upon us
Attachments
Solongchumps.jpg
Solongchumps.jpg (21.27 KiB) Viewed 12053 times

zoltanka79
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by zoltanka79 »

Well, I did it! But the spring that I used was a little bit short, so I had to put some aluminum spacers and an elastomer in the bottom. I packed the other leg with elastomers and still have 4 pieces left for future maintenence. I took my bike for a short spin and it handles pretty well, hopefully it's gonna stay the same for the long run.
Zoltan