'94 A2E - Original Bottom Bracket Size

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
DPDISXR4Ti
Regular visitor
Regular visitor

'94 A2E - Original Bottom Bracket Size

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I thought I had my '94 A2E restoration mostly done, but now I'm running into a couple snags. As it stands right now, I can only get the front der to shift onto two rings. At first, it wouldn't reach the big ring, so I tightened up the cable a bit and now it only reaches the middle and big (but not the small). I'm running a Shimano-C crankset and it's been suggested that the BB may be too wide to work with that correctly.

I can't find the BB specs - 68 or 73mm? Total width? 110? 113?
Brad

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: '94 A2E - Original Bottom Bracket Size

Post by vpc66 »

73 mm shell but spindle length depend on crankset , I use 110 on my Cuda. If you know what your spindle length is right now check how much clearance you have between the crank arms to chainstay and the clearance between the chainring and chainstay. You can use that space to get a idea of what BB you can use. You wrote that you tightened the cable...did you check your inner and outer throw screws on the derailleur. If the inner throw is set where it stops the derailleur from moving closer to the frame it will not matter how tight the cable is.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

DPDISXR4Ti
Regular visitor
Regular visitor

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

vpc66 wrote:73 mm shell but spindle length depend on crankset , I use 110 on my Cuda. If you know what your spindle length is right now check how much clearance you have between the crank arms to chainstay and the clearance between the chainring and chainstay. You can use that space to get a idea of what BB you can use. You wrote that you tightened the cable...did you check your inner and outer throw screws on the derailleur. If the inner throw is set where it stops the derailleur from moving closer to the frame it will not matter how tight the cable is.

Ah, so it's actually a 73mm shell? I thought I had read it was a 68. And yes, I realize the spindle length is equally important. In fact, that's the reason I need to swap mine out, as what's in there now is too long. That also means I can't use the current one as a reference, other than it being too long.

And yes, I've fully backed the throw screws out and I still have a problem.
Brad

DPDISXR4Ti
Regular visitor
Regular visitor

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

If we believe BikePedia.com, it looks like the early ('94 - '96) steel bikes are 68 x 110 and the later ('97/8) AL bikes are 73 x 113.

I just measured my (powder-coated) frame and it comes in at 69.1mm, so I'd say that verifies the "68" value.
Brad

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

My frame is a second generation and I do not know if the BB is different through the different years and models, but that is easy enough to figure which one it is.

I see that you were on as I wrote that and found the answer...GOOD, hope all works out and you get to enjoy the ride soon
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I measured the factory bottom bracket spindle on my 93 A2R the other day and equates to a 113mm stated spindle length. The actual measurement was like 114.70mm.
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis