94 A2E seatpost size

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
Chitown Cuda

94 A2E seatpost size

Post by Chitown Cuda »

Hey all, I got a bent seat post, cant read size, I saw a post said 30? Can anyone confirm what size post i need?

neo_pop_71

Re: 94 A2E seatpost size

Post by neo_pop_71 »

That's hard to say...

I've had 3 steel framed Cudas with different sized seatposts:

26.4 - ?

26.8 - My daughter's '95 A2Z with Tange MTN (aka one step up from plumber's pipe)

27.2 - My '94 A2V with double butted Tange Prestige

29.4 - My '93 A2L with double butted Tange CrMo

It would seem that your best bet would be to hit up another member on here with an A2E and PM that person and hope... otherwise you have a trip to your LBS in your future. It's all to do with the grade of tubing and the thickness of the walls. I checked Sheldon Brown's seatpost database and he only lists a 1995 Cuda Comp as having a 26.4. My 26.4 was red anodized and I used it in a KGB titanium frame, so I have no reference for what Cuda that post belonged to originally.

Good luck!

-D-

Maybe we should start our own Barracuda seatpost database... there are my 3 sizes. Anyone else?

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

The thing is... I found that some seatposts taper from top to bottom. That being said, where is the stated measurement from? Toward the seat or toward the opposite end? Thomson seatposts seem to be the same diameter all the way down top to bottom. So, the way to do this is to take the ID measurement of your seat tube just below the intersection of the top tube and seat stays. Source a seat post to that measurement or larger. Then ream the seat tube to fit the seatpost. This process worked for me as I had issues with the A2R's seat post dropping while I was riding. The Thomson is the only way to go.
Here is an image of the tools and be sure to read this thread on my seatpost ordeal: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=714
Attachments
Seatpost011.jpg
Seatpost011.jpg (120.96 KiB) Viewed 14194 times
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

Chitown Cuda

Post by Chitown Cuda »

Turns out i need a 30.0

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

We really should start a database of model, year, and seatpost size!

rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by rbonif »

i couldn't agree more...I have three spare seatposts in my parts bin that ended up being the wrong size.

I would have thought 30 would have been to big...unforunately my 94 A2E is out in the Hamptons which I will not be getting to for two weeks. When I get the chance I will test it with my spare 27.2 post and see if that is too small.