Any road bikes in your stable?

As stated, anything goes.
neo_pop_71

Any road bikes in your stable?

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey gang,

Just kinda' going along with my other posting about what you ride when it's not your 'Cuda... anyone care to share your road bike (cyclocross too) with the family? As before, pics with a description would be super! (you can copy, edit, and paste using the specs template I used)
I'll kick this off with my 1989 Schwinn 974... it's been raced, trained on, stolen, recovered, and now customized... allow me to introduce my "METH PEOPLE" road bike. The story is lengthy, so please forgive me ;)

* Please note, I'm not celebrating tweakers and meth heads, in fact I hate them, this is my recovered bike that a tweaker stole. *

The story goes like this... I started road racing juniors back in '86 on a used Cannondale, this 1989 (Klein inspired and licensed) Schwinn 974 was my first legitimate race bike and it's stayed with me through the years as numerous newer bikes have gone away. I love it, it's my baby! A while back at my shop in an industrial complex, "The Shed", a cool work space since I have limited room at the house, it's where I built up and kept my extra bikes. Let me say the meth element has to do with the tweakers that rolled through constantly. One day one of them got brave and grabbed my 974 from inside my shop when I was working. This bike is a rocket and tweakers ride hard, so the bastard was gone. I tried to chase him in my truck but he cut through a neighborhood and disappeared. I'm raging pissed off driving all over now, so I head back to the shop and on my way I see the tweaker's buddy messing with his bike on the side of the road. I roll up on him and start laying into him about his buddy, he started playing dumb... I figured he needed some "encouragement" and he quickly found himself duct taped and sitting next to me in my truck. He still doesn't want to give up his buddy, so I threatened to throw him out of the truck as we're rollin' along. He freaked out because he could see I was serious and he gives me directions to his buddy's sh*thouse. More duct tape for my navigator since I don't know yet if he's telling the truth and I approach the garage. I can hear someone working inside, I look in the window and find the scumbag tearing my baby apart. I lose it and burst in! I grabbed the closest metal object and hit the piece of sh*t upside his head, a few swift kicks for good measure, and I grab my 974 and the parts and head out to my truck. I pull "Mr. Duct Tape" out of the floor of my truck, give him a few lumps to emphasize my seriousness and let him know that my bike is off limits and to spread the word.

To get over my anger that some piece of sh*t had messed with my bike, I decided to go over-the-top in rebuilding it and have some fun. Not long after finishing the build, those two tweakers were roaming through by my shop again, so I rode up and surprised them. I figured I'd jar their memory with a few extra lumps to the dome and while they were thinking it over on the ground, I reminded them that the yellow "Meth People" bike was mine and I'd better not have any problems. After that day, I never saw those two tweakers ever again. I know I made my point because I still keep my 974 by the front door of my shop, tweakers still roll through and look at it but keep walking. I hit one up the other day when I caught him eyeballin' my ride, all he said, "Sorry man, no-no, I heard about you!" Perfect!!!

Specs:
Frame / Size / Year:

Klein design Schwinn 974 58cm 1989
Handlebars / Stem:
3TTT & Controltech
Fork / Headset:
974 custom extruded w/ chrome dropouts & NJS Falcon Tange
Front Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
Custom Dura Ace hub laced w/ black spokes to Mavic CXP21 w/ Michelin tires
Rear Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
Custom Dura Ace hub laced w/ black spokes to Mavic CXP21 w/ Michelin tires
Crankset / Bottom Bracket:
Dura Ace cranks & Dura Ace B.B.
Saddle / Seat Post:
Koobi Titanium & Sugino post
Pedals / Chain:
Time ATAC & Dura Ace chain
Shifters / Derailers:
Dura Ace 8 speed grouppo
Brakes / Brake Levers:
Campy "Skeleton" calipers & Dura Ace Brifters
Gearing / Chainring / Misc.:
9T-21T w/ 53/42 chainrings *** yellow "don't steal" decal on fork leg ***
Okay, who wants to go next?
Last edited by neo_pop_71 on January 29th, 2011, 11:50 am, edited 6 times in total.

manbeer
Never leaves
Never leaves

Re: Any road bikes in your stable?

Post by manbeer »

Great story! That just made my day!

I have a ~54cm custom built Dean frame that they apparently built a small run of for simply fit. Racing in the early/mid 90s. Its an easton tubeset that came with almost complete old dura ace save for a few bits and no wheels i picked up for 200 on ebay. Planning on throwing on a set of spinergys this spring and finisbing her up. This will be the first road bike i owned so im curious to see how much better it really is than riding my mtbs with semislicks. Last summer i was keeping up with a lot of the local roadie crew on my a2e w 2.0" speedmax betas, only falling off at the end of very long rides. Im guessing that under those circumstances the road bike makes a.difference
92 Easton * 93 A2X * 93 A2L * 94 A2MS * 94 Comp * 95 Comp * 96 A2E * 97 A2E * 97 XX Team * 97 A2F * 98 A2FS * 96 A2T and more

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

DEAN bikes are awesome! I regret selling my DEAN titanium frame, the geometry was very similar to our 'Cuda bikes, long top tube and tight triangles. Great bikes, I wish they hadn't gone away... lotsa' good smaller companies popped in the 90's but folded thanks to Giant, Trek, and the other corporate monster companies and their Taiwanese pricepoints!

Manbeer, if you're hanging with roadies on your 'Cuda with 2.0 semislicks, you're going to drop 'em when you get that DEAN under you! The rolling resistance alone says you shouldn't be able to hang with a road bike, you have 2 to 3 times more friction than that road tire. Go out with the group and when you hit a nice flat spot, big ring it and drop 'em all, then let them catch up and apologize for needing to stretch your legs! I love that!

-D-

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

That was an awesome story. Laughed my ass off.. Just don't leave that yellow bike sitting around Austin, Tx. They have that Yellow Bike Project where you are free to take the bike, ride to your destination, and leave the bike for the next person who needs it.

http://austinyellowbike.org/
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

For real?

Manbeer and myself are the only two 'Cudaheads who will admit to owning a road bike?

C'mon, there's gotta be more of you on here that ride road bikes... you don't have to admit to shaving your legs or wearin' spandex :lol: We're all family!
Last edited by neo_pop_71 on January 29th, 2011, 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

cudarider1
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by cudarider1 »

I've considered it over the years but Mountainbiking is just too much fun. Several of my buddies do it for the work out and I wish I was more like that but I just tolerate the uphills to enjoy the ride downhill over rocks, roots, logs and other obsticals and of course the speed.

manbeer
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by manbeer »

Awaiting parts, i just ordered purple topline cranks and a purple ringle moby post, now shopping for spinergy wheels and a few more bits and ill be done :)

I need to lose about 15lbs to be within weight limit fir the cranks so hopefully thats additional motivation
92 Easton * 93 A2X * 93 A2L * 94 A2MS * 94 Comp * 95 Comp * 96 A2E * 97 A2E * 97 XX Team * 97 A2F * 98 A2FS * 96 A2T and more

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Lotus Elite 600 Triathion Series..All Shimano 600 parts...all original believe to be a 87
Cannodale SR 400 with Shimano 600 90/91.
As I have said,BMX when I was a kid but then road bikes...yes you can go fast....but no where near the fun of being off road and as Neo stated in a post. A true roadie does not seem to be as strong off road,before Wife and kids I rode alot and had the chance to take a friend from work and a group of his friends that belong to one of the big road bike clubs...They felt that because I was not a club rider I would not be strong on a ride.Then some of their best riders were calling me names before end of ride because I would walk away then wait for them to show up with a smile on my face....the next week,pulled out the old Dale and run with them on rode with no problem.
Off road takes far more than siting there spinning the cranks.....Not to say all,but have heard others do the same or run MTB with roadies and stay with them.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Just curious...

Did most of us on here come to love dirt riding because we had BMX riding in our background? I turned 40 a few months back, so I guess I'm officially a geezer now, but coming up in the 70's in SoCal was a golden age! It was all about Scot Breithaupt and SE Racing, God, he pretty much created BMX racing! I know I was on my bike every single day, those bikes meant freedom from the parents (but you weren't really "free" since anybody's dad in the neighborhood could smack you for being stupid) and endless fun bombin' around with your friends.

Anybody remember rollin' up to your buddy's house and there'd be 8 or 10 bikes in the driveway or on the front lawn? I don't think there are 10 kids in my neighborhood that even ride! It kinda' sucks that all these modern "things" have done a bunch of kids over, not my daughter, from the get go she was bombin' the sidewalks around our home with the clickity-clack of her training wheels as she rolled over the cracks. I take it very seriously about instilling in her a love of bikes, the outdoors, and the awesome freedom that two wheels can offer!!!

Ah man, now I'm gettin' all misty-eyed :oops:

-D-

p.s. For the old-timers, sorry if you predate the 70's and BMX riding but I'm sure you have your fond memories of your old newsboy bikes... we're not that different... ;)

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I came from trails, street, school campus and sidewalk riding. My first bike was a red 1966 20" Pee Wee Herman type Western Flyer bike. I rode it to 1st grade.. My second bike was a gold 1967 Murray Wildcat 20" banana bike. I had long hair and it was cool.. I use to jump everything and pull everything with that bike. I pulled skaters, skate boarders, motor-less go-karts and road wheelies all over the place. Then the English racer craze came in and my sister and I got identical blue Western Flyer 26" 10 speeds. They were bought for a Bike-a-Thon we would ride the next week. And when I wore out the 10 speed.... I wore out my sisters 10 speed.. I got in to motorcycles after that and did not have a bike until my Junior year at SFASU. I bought a used blue 1982 Motobecane 27" to ride to and from class. Then I got back into motorcycles with a 86 Honda Interceptor and spent a lot of time running from the cops and dragging our knees around the Hill Country of Texas. Then my sound engineer buddies turned me on to mountain bikes. My first was a GT Talera. Then came the Barracudas..
Attachments
WesternFlyer004.jpg
WesternFlyer004.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 10975 times
wildcat001Gold2.jpg
wildcat001Gold2.jpg (70.55 KiB) Viewed 10975 times
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis