Any Cudaheads running a 1x9 setup?

As stated, anything goes.
neo_pop_71

Any Cudaheads running a 1x9 setup?

Post by neo_pop_71 »

I'm in the process of repurposing my Earth Day bike (aka "RASKAL" from a pair repurposed GT "Zaskar" decals) from last year, getting it ready for this year's Earth Day. I've decided to go with a 1x9 drivetrain and build it up as a 69'er (26" wheel in the rear with a 29" wheel in the front). I recently picked up a 700c/29'er fillet brazed Supercrown fork made by Rick Hunter from Hunter Cycles... it's without a doubt the sweetest bike component I've ever owned (plus I only paid a fraction of the $450 cost of a new one)!!! Rick is a super cool guy, a one man operation, that builds custom one-off bikes to your specific needs. So, I want to run the Supercrown with a disc brake on the front of my RASKAL with a 1x9 drivetrain. Has anyone run or is currently running the 1x9 setup on one of your bikes? Please let me know what you think, I'd like to know the good and bad. Any pictures would be cool too. Thanks!

Here is a link to Rick Hunter's site, slick eye candy for sure!

http://www.huntercycles.com/index.html

Here is a great write up on a 1x9 conversion I found, cool reading w/pics:

http://crosscountrybike.blogspot.com/20 ... s-fun.html

Happy trails!

-D-

neo_pop_71

Re: Any Cudaheads running a 1x9 setup?

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Okay, let me try again... is anyone running a one by anything set up? I've run them before, I'm just curious to hear how others set their bikes up. Plus, I have a couple of questions about chain line, bottom bracket width, etc., I'd like to bounce some ideas off 'ya.

Thanks!

-D-

p.s. The rigid fork on my "RASKAL" is off my Barracuda, now the bike gets the rigid Hunter 29'er fork and the Kooka cranks is getting swapped with the XTR singlespeed crank (from my want ad in the Marketplace)... and I'm back to having more leftovers in the garage!

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ctk »

With 1x9 I tend to find I use more of the cassette. With 3x9 I am inclined to leave the chain in the middle of the cassette and use the front changer.

I used a bashring and an Ngear jump stop.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Thanks for the reply ctk... I too share your riding style when it come to a 1x9 vs. a 3x9. The 69'er I'm building will have a similar set up as well, I'm running a single chainring with a bashguard and using a chain watching. I have an oldie from the early 90's when I built my first 1x_, it was called a "Third Eye" chain watching devise. It's super simple as it's nothing more than a racheting hose clamp with a plastic sleeve over the top but it always worked well. If I find my chain to be jumping, then I will go with a Ngear like you used. Back then, there weren't many choices in alternative components, everything was 3x_ (6, 7, or 8) depended on your budget and desire to have the newest thing. I guess it's not so different these days but I'm pleased to see a newer platform developing with the 2x10 or 2x11 drivetrain. It seems pretty smart to me if your can run an 11-36 cassette, the gear overlap should be able to get your butt up the hill. For me the big added bonus is the tighter crank area. By eliminating that third chainring, you can bring the crank in and in doing so you really improve your chainline. I guess that'll be my next move, build up a 2x_ drivetrain, but I'll wait until a few friends have built their bikes to see how well it works (maybe I can score a cheap drivetrain if a buddy hates it ;) ).

-D-

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey ctk-

How's the little Cudahead? He's a little over a year old now, right? Pictures?

Cheers!

-D-

p.s. Oh yeah, any new mods to your 'Cuda?

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Well, Earth Day came and went... I didn't get the RASKAL rebuilt for a couple reasons, the paint for my Hunter SuperCrown fork to match has been backordered and I've missed winning a few auctions for the needed components to finish up the build. Oh well, that's how it goes... patience grasshopper... when you can snatch the pebble from my hand...

Anyway, I did manage to land a few more choice bits of bike jewelry... a NOS AC cnc'd brake booster, a NOS Tioga h'bar, a pair of Winwood "Decksters" clipless to platform pedal, a Thomson stem, and a PAUL "Thumbie" (for the 1x9 drivetrain), a PAUL Neo-Retro canti rear brake to go with the PAUL Cross Top brake lever.

I'll keep you posted as the build comes together.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hooray!

It's finally done... only took 3 ridiculously long months to finish this thing!

I don't want to take up anymore board space, so here is a link to Velospace, all specs and pics are covered. This is a super fun bike and I would push any of you to recycle one of your 26" bikes and build a 96'er/69'er!

http://velospace.org/node/43609

Happy trails amigos!!!

-D-

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Dude! Don't worry about space. The bills are paid up! ;)

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Mark wrote:Dude! Don't worry about space. The bills are paid up! ;)

Cool, thanks Mark! (I added one photo to my previous posting per Mark's thumbs up)

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Cool looking bike,does the forks and larger wheel on the front distort how the bike handled with the 26" wheel or feel about the same....I have asked before what you guys thought of the 29ers....guess you like the feel of a larger hoop...will no doubt be my next build if and when I have the money for it...again love the bike,a straight to the point ride..I like that.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane