Any Cudaheads running a 1x9 setup?

As stated, anything goes.
neo_pop_71

Re: Any Cudaheads running a 1x9 setup?

Post by neo_pop_71 »

The handling is not changed much because back in '88 when Richard Cunningham designed these Nishiki frames with the elevated chainstays, patterned after his Mantis frames (mmm... Mantis), he gave the headtube a steep angle. That steep headtube takes up most if any effect that the longer rake adds to the geometry. Also, these bikes were known for their tight "race" geomtry, the short chainstays really keep the bike well balanced. Really, that's what is comes down to for me, I don't like the feel of a 29'er bike, the rear end feels like it floats or drifts in the turns. The 26" rear wheel of a 96er/69er does away with that "pillowy" feel but you still keep the roll over anything attitude with the 29" front.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Ok so I could not fight the feeling any longer...I bought a old steel Specialized Hard Rock so I could play around with it like the Raskal. My first thought is Single speed done on the cheap side at first for fun. If I really like it that way I was thinking about taking off the braze on for the deraillurs and the hanger ....or do you think I should leave them on just in case....How many different ways have you done the Raskal again.
And if you are asking why not a Cuda...if I end up cuting parts off I just could not think of doing that to a Cuda and this is a plain jane old Specialized where there are many more out there..so who cares.
Talking about taking stuff off....what is this brace in the slot for and could I remove it so I do not need to run a tensioner which would make it so if I want to I could cut the hanger off if it stays a single speed..
Attachments
280959670479_2.jpg
280959670479_2.jpg (6.5 KiB) Viewed 9312 times
rear dropout.jpg
rear dropout.jpg (15.92 KiB) Viewed 9312 times
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Pulled BB out tonight and found where water had sat and rust was on the BB...think I might need to do what Mix did and clean the inside and spray in stuff to protect it...I said it was a cheap beater build but for the future life of the frame I guess I should do it.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Mixalive's prep methods were spot on but I differ in what to do about the rust. Having done a dozen old cars in the last 20 years, I swear by Jasco Prep and Prime. You simply have to brush this stuff on, dunk your parts, or in your case fill the tubing. This stuff converts rust from ferrous iron to iron phosphate, in other words it changes the chemistry of the rust back to steel (that's a little oversimplified but you get the idea). Leave it over night, drain the frame, discard the polluted solution, let dry for a few hours and repeat if the rust is really bad.

Here's the link:

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=103&prodid=221

Before you get into any of this or spend money of chemicals, check for bubbled paint on the chainstays and around the bottom bracket... if you have some, do not assume that they are surface rust. Use a stiff wire or ice pick to open the bubbled paint, poke that wire around and see if you have a complete rust through (i.e. cancer). If so, recycle the metal or make a wall trophy out of it. Sorry brother, cancer in the stays is nothing to mess with, the frame is wasted!

Good luck and keep your fingers crossed!

-D-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Thanks for reply ...Had the work stand outside last night so lighting was not great,will do a real check during day but from looking at the outside of frame it looks GOOD which was the reason it surprized me to pull BB and see rust...unless this is common on 23 + year old steel frames to have a bit of rust to them...last time I took a steel frame apart this bike would not have been built or thought of.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Will that Jasco hurt the existing paint? Going to be hard to get it in and out of the tubes without it getting on the paint. But I may try it sometime.
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

That's a good question Mix, I'm guessing not because it is a prep for paint and metal filler. I don't feel like it's ever reacted with anything aside from rust, so I don't believe it will harm the paint. You could certainly try it out on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell and no one would know. Just a thought...

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Right after work I check it out and it was not bad,not sure what all the crud was on the BB when I pulled it out...But it is nice to hear things to use for a steel restoration .

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

D- are you still riding this rig? Sick as hell. I never woulda thunk to set one up like that. I do have that A2R frame still laying around. Damn my girl is gonna be PISSED if I start another build. teehee

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Hahah.....Don has corrupt another one with his gems. I have gone in the direction of single speed and had hope with the pile of used and junk parts I could build a Ghetto bike (term picked up from checking out single speed stuff) but fell short of a seatpost that would fit that frame,and the chain I though I would use will be a no go which sucks.....I laugh telling family that I am to poor to even build a ghetto bike. So the parts just sit there with hope that income tax money will trickle a couple of bucks to it...Maybe I will pop some parts on and take a pic to show the bike I call Ultra Ghetto...The frame is a Specilized Hard Rock ultra