Anyone riding a track bike (aka singlespeed or fixed gear)?

As stated, anything goes.
neo_pop_71

Anyone riding a track bike (aka singlespeed or fixed gear)?

Post by neo_pop_71 »

As I've always loved racing bikes... on the track (velodrome and dirt), pavement (on a team or individual crit), dirt/trails (shop sponsored or personal fun), or in the neighborhood sprinting against friends... racing has been such a huge part of my life! As I've built a few hundred bikes in the last 30 years, and now that I'm in my 40's, I'm figuring out that I really have an affinity for simpler and less complex bikes. I thought I'd take a moment to share my recently completed track bike. I doubt it will ever see the hard wood of the track but for those "grab and go" moments, this bike is ideally suited for me! This is my Smorgasbord track bike, it was my slow build that took the better part of the last year to complete. A full description with pictures is listed at my page on Velospace. If you have a minute to spare, please have a look and let me know what you think. I love it and I think it came out great! Uber simple... feet on pedals and go... nothing to go wrong, super quick, and insane amounts of fun!!!

Here is the link to Velospace:

http://velospace.org/node/43942

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Anyone riding a track bike (aka singlespeed or fixed gea

Post by vpc66 »

SWEET!
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

I was into road racing only a short time in the early 90's, and I've never even been on a single-speed conversion, let alone a velodrome bike, but I like this an awful lot. Nice job!!

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Thanks guys! I love this bike, it only weighs 17 pounds, and it's super solid and tight. The trick was replacing the rear drop outs and what to go with, it had Breezer drops, so I didn't want to lose the ability to put gears back on in the future. The Surly were similar in style and I had the option of going with or without the derailleur hanger. The choice was simple! My buddy mod'd the frame for me and he did a super job!

Like I stated before (on Velospace), I well very fortunate!!!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

have noticed somefolks go with out brakes....see you wanted some brake action if need be..

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

vpc66 wrote:have noticed somefolks go with out brakes....see you wanted some brake action if need be..

Yeah, I love those hipsters!!!

Forget the fact that it's illegal in most states for a brakeless bike to be on the streets...

The science is simple... something has to give...
wheel...
frame...
face...
or all the above!!!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Ouch!!!