How do you raise the handle bar stem?

As stated, anything goes.
runnyeggsham

How do you raise the handle bar stem?

Post by runnyeggsham »

This is a stupid question but I looked at an about.com video and it didn't work on my bike. I just bought a 98(?) Barracuda A2V. The handlebar is set to the bottom and I want to raise it. I loosened the allen nut and tried pulling it as hard as I could but it didnt budge.

Can someone tell me how to get it loose? thank you! Above that, the bike rides really well. I use it for school. Got it for $75 tuned already. The brakes are not as tight as my friend's Trek that he just bought....cherry condition but heavier than mine...I think built around the same time period. His is almost brand new....girl owned.
Attachments
bike.jpg
bike.jpg (95.77 KiB) Viewed 30684 times

neo_pop_71

Re: How do you raise the handle bar stem?

Post by neo_pop_71 »

runnyeggsham wrote:This is a stupid question but I looked at an about.com video and it didn't work on my bike. I just bought a 98(?) Barracuda A2V. The handlebar is set to the bottom and I want to raise it. I loosened the allen nut and tried pulling it as hard as I could but it didnt budge.

First things first... welcome to the the Cuda family!

Damn nice score for $75.00!!! You landed a 1994 gem, the A2V was a higher end Barracuda made from Tange Prestige tubing (same as a Stumpjumper), and you got it for a fraction of the original $1,399.00 price... I wish I could find a Cuda like that!!!

Naw, no stupid questions... you loosened one allen head bolt but did you loosen the other two on the back of the stem? If so, and all three are loose, it would seem that your stem has been in that position since new or at least for a very long time. Take the allen head bolt and the plastic Aheadset plug completely out, using a rubber mallet (or a steel hammer and a piece of wood, no metal on metal), hit the top of the stem and steer tube gently a few times to break the corrosion loose. This should do the trick. However, you don't have much steer tube to play with so you're only going to get about 1/2 an inch or so of added height. Sorry to ruin your plans... you could always get a stem with more rise or a riser handlebar.

Good luck!

-D-

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

My feeling is that you will need a new stem. One with more rise. Depending on make, not too expensive.

runnyeggsham

Post by runnyeggsham »

No, I just loosened that one bolt. Doh! I didn't think those side ones would be necessary.

But here are some more pictures. I mounted it on my car. I like the bike a lot. One of my professors saw me cutting through the grass and remarked that maybe he should bring his bike too and bike around campus instead of walking.

The bike is nice enough where I just ride it around campus at the end of the day at night and unwind.

runnyeggsham

Post by runnyeggsham »

Thanks for the welcome and info everyone.

And yes, it does say Tree Amigos! Along with the original owner's name, although I am not sure if this was factory or not. It's etched in dot matrix! Talk about vintage!

Anyway, I have Gary Fisher Tassajarra too. But that one is in similar condition, maybe a little newer and I dont want to lose that one either. So I take the cuda and lock up the frame with a REI Bulldog Ulock and chain the wheels end to end. The seat is a crappy Bell.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Welcome to the forum.. Nice bike.
So, the image on the carrier: Is your Manitou 4 cinched up (compressed) with that strap? If the fork normally sits that low on the ground, you may have an elastomer issue. Honestly it looks bottomed out.
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

runnyeggsham

Post by runnyeggsham »

mixalive wrote:Welcome to the forum.. Nice bike.
So, the image on the carrier: Is your Manitou 4 cinched up (compressed) with that strap? If the fork normally sits that low on the ground, you may have an elastomer issue. Honestly it looks bottomed out.

Yes, it does sit that low to the ground. What do you mean compressed by the strap? Nothing is holding it down on my bike rack besides some velcro on the frame that keeps it in place when hanging on the rack.

I don't know what height the shocks are supposed to be. I was told that it was tuned recently and it rides fine (for a newbie). The shocks still go down when I push down on it or jumping a curve on campus. What is an elastomer.
Thank you.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I just wasn't sure if the velcro strap was compressing the forks.
Here is a picture of my Manitou 4. It is riding a little high (3/8") because it has a Wings spring conversion and is sprung. But subtract what you see in gold and that would be the normal unsprung height of an elastomer Manitou 4. It looks to me that you have an elastomer issue. Do you have a Manitou 4 manual? If not, here is a link:

http://suspensionforkparts.net/manitou4_mag_comp.php

Check it out and I can point to you where the issue probably is.
Anyone else want to chime in?
Attachments
M4-close-up.jpg
M4-close-up.jpg (517.37 KiB) Viewed 30662 times

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Elastomers:
Attachments
M3M4refreshKit.jpg
M3M4refreshKit.jpg (100.45 KiB) Viewed 30659 times

runnyeggsham

Post by runnyeggsham »

mixalive wrote:I just wasn't sure if the velcro strap was compressing the forks.
Here is a picture of my Manitou 4. It is riding a little high (3/8") because it has a Wings spring conversion and is sprung. But subtract what you see in gold and that would be the normal unsprung height of an elastomer Manitou 4. It looks to me that you have an elastomer issue.

I see what you mean. Mine is really compressed. I didn't even notice to be honest. Man it looks awful compared to yours.