$7.00 bike stand - over at RatRodBikes

As stated, anything goes.
neo_pop_71

$7.00 bike stand - over at RatRodBikes

Post by neo_pop_71 »

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=3323

Hey gang,

Just happened onto this one, seems like a great alternative to dropping $150.00 on a new Park repair stand... I hope someone on here can make use of this info!

Peace,

-DON-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: $7.00 bike stand - over at RatRodBikes

Post by vpc66 »

Was it Pee Wee with the bike hanging from bars of some sort....he might build his own off these plans. I know I love using my work stand from washing to working on parts it makes a big difference to have the bike set up where you can deal with it. I have one of the older Ultimates which I know it is not a Park but it has been very good to me.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Dude.. That is awesome..
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Wait, so how does one clamp the frame into the stand?

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I had noticed at my LBS that the mechanics just balanced the bike from the front of the seat on top of the crossbar of the their work stand (not even using the clamps).
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

There are a few things that come to mind to make sure the bike will stay in place with that as a base and still not spend big bucks. Simple would be to set a block maybe three inches in from the open end of the arm with rubber or foam set in gap to protect the seatpost then just to be sure the bike does not slide out drill a hole for a fastpin or bolt to slide in place after bike is set in holder.
Second thought....grab bar clamp parts from hardware place with short piece of bar stock,then cut one side of arm off keeping that part place a block at cut end to make arm solid.Then clamp cut part in place tight and use a hole saw to make a matching half moon on both parts then drill a hole sideways through both parts for the bar stock and clamp parts to pull them togather around the seat post...could put felt or rubber to protect the seat post.
Both should be cheap setups to hang the bike where you could work on it and better than nothing...before I bought my stand I would hang the bike from a tree limb with rope...drove me nuts how the bike would swing all around.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

I like Vinny's idea for securing the bike, simply resting the seatpost between the wooden arms would not work for me. That said, here is Jim Langley's bike stand from BIKE Magazine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dognamedba ... otostream/

Obviously, it will cost a bit more, but not too much as the components are relatively inexpensive, and certainly $100.00 cheaper than a new Park stand.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Used a bar clamp in a different way from my second thought but if you could spend the extra funds on the pipe stock that would be the way to go with not as much bulk and trip hazard as the 2x4 base. Heck if you have cross beams in the work shop area you could mount the pipe to that and have the area around and under the bike free and clear.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

vpc66 wrote:Heck if you have cross beams in the work shop area you could mount the pipe to that and have the area around and under the bike free and clear.

Great point! That is exactly how I set up two spare stands when I had my workshop in an industrial unit before I brought the "shop" home to save on the $600.00 per month rent. Thanks for bringing that to mind, I'd forgotten about the roof mounted set up!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

To anybody that makes a homemade workstand using barclamps....just remember the clamp force will be high and if you overclamp your frame or seatpost it will be trash...