What'cha ridin' if not your 'CUDA?

As stated, anything goes.
neo_pop_71

What'cha ridin' if not your 'CUDA?

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey gang-

I just got to wondering what you throw a leg over, if it's not your Barracuda that day?

Let's try to keep it specific (and pics would be great too):

Brand- Specialized
Model- Stumpjumper Comp
Year- 1991
Frame material- Tange Double-butted Steel
Components- (see below)
All the other details- (ditto)

Stumpjumper Comp
FRAME - Tange Prestige DB
FORK - *(upgraded: Manitou 2 suspension)
HEADSET - *(upgraded: Tioga Expert)
REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano Deore XT II SIS
FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano Deore XT II
HUBS - Shimano Deore XT II 32
RIMS - Specialized BX23
TIRES - Ground Control Extreme
BRAKES - Shimano Deore XT II canti's
BRAKE LEVERS - Shimano Deore XT II 2-finger
CRANK - Shimano Deore XT II Super Glide 24/36/46
PEDALS - Shimano Deore XT II Comp
SHIFTERS - Shimano Deore XT II Thumb
HANDLEBARS - Specialized *(upgraded: Tioga TruTemper 6000 series Al.)
FREEWHEEL - Shimano Deore XT II 7 cassette 12/28
STEM - *(upgraded: ControlTech - "Control Stem")
COLOR - Matte Gray

Information taken from the Museum of Mountain Bike Art & Technology

Specialized Specs / Stumpjumper

http://www.mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm

Replacement spring kits for the Manitou fork @ http://www.wings-suspension.de/manitou.html

So, what'cha got???

cudarider1
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: What'cha ridin' if not your 'CUDA?

Post by cudarider1 »

Nice looking ride Don, Since I got the cuda that's been my only bike. I started with a used '84 Schwinn Sierra, moved to a New GT Karakoram then to the Cuda around '98 and haven't looked back. Lately I have been considering adding something new, either an XC full suspension bike or possible a 29er of some sort but haven't fully made up my mind yet. I'll post when Id pull the trigger.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I had been riding GT's during the 90's and always wanted a Schwinn as they were the "got to have" bikes when I was growing up in the 60-70's. I happened on this 99 Schwinn GSX Mesa at a pawn shop in Bryan, TX while traveling to East Texas. I think I paid $200 for it in 2000. It was like new, 14" aluminum frame with a RockShock. I have beat this bike up pretty good and still works great. Not as cool as my Barracuda A2M though..
Attachments
Mesa_A2M.jpg
Mesa_A2M.jpg (249.45 KiB) Viewed 12372 times
Last edited by mixalive on February 1st, 2011, 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

oldschool

Post by oldschool »

This is my Klein Mantra.
Attachments
100_1538.JPG
100_1538.JPG (252.54 KiB) Viewed 12445 times

oldschool

Post by oldschool »

My 91 Merlin
Attachments
100_1531.JPG
100_1531.JPG (132.09 KiB) Viewed 12445 times

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Wow, nice rides, guys! Loving the Merlin.. That's one of only 2 bikes I've always dreamed of owning, other than my A2X, that is..

willywill

Post by willywill »

This is my 1996 GT Team LTS. The frame was in rough shape when I bought it and the Rock Shox Super Deluxe shock was crap. I have since sold the MAG 21 and installed a Double Crown Manitou TPC fork. I love the Vuelta wheels, not the lightest but stiff as can be an can handle some abuse. Hands down the best addition is the Fox Shock for the rear. If the front forks are just as sweet I can understand why a second mortgage is necessary to own one! Cheers!

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Thanks for the contributions, some nice rides for sure! The Stumpjumper I started this thread with is gone, sold it to finish my baby (pics and details soon).

I'm with Mark, Oldschool's Merlin is sweet! I've always wanted a Merlin... I did own a KGB, a poorman's Merlin put out by Montrose Bikes in SoCal. I built it up as a get around town single speed with a Bontrager Race Lite carbon fork, a FSA Ti bottom bracket, and some Dura Ace bits, it came in at a feathery 14.2 pounds. I parted it out after awhile, it was a bit too "whippy" for my liking. It's a good frame if you want Ti and you're on a budget.

willywill said, "...best addition is the Fox Shock for the rear. If the front forks are just as sweet I can understand why a second mortgage is necessary to own one!"

I've owned a few Fox forks over the years, they are great forks, spendy with good resale value (used ones can fetch more than a lot of new ones by the other guys). For me, the White Brothers forks are king! They are every bit as good as the Fox forks, that's how White Bros got started by selling dirt bike gear, and then improved on the design. The W.B. "Factory" forks were all CNC'd in SoCal out of Easton aluminum and their internals were overbuilt and bombproof. The best part W.B used common parts found at your local hardware store, like o-rings, washers, etc., no specialty parts... so the rebuilds are cheap! Used W.B. forks can be purchased cheaply too, I won an auction on Fleebay for a SC70UL air fork and it only cost me $59.00 plus shipping. Only $75.00 for an American made air fork! It even has gold fork lowers to match my '93 A2Limited (gold/white). White Brothers is now in Colorado, their fork tech has replacement parts if needed or they'll service/rebuild your fork. Keep your eyes peeled, if you come across one locally, grab it because you won't regret it!
Last edited by neo_pop_71 on December 29th, 2010, 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob_Bell

Post by Rob_Bell »

Storck Absolutist 1.0 road bike
Rival, Force, Dura-Ace, and Ultegra components
EIS bars, seatpost, stem
Selle Italia SLR Saddle

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey ‘Cuda fanatics,

This is my 1996 Smorgasbord Country Style Buffet hardtail, it replaced my 1991 Stumpjumper that I started this thread with. When I stripped down the Stumpjumper, the buyer only wanted the frame, so I hung the grouppo on my 1993 A2L and rebuilt that bike. It’s taken a lot longer than expected to track down the parts I wanted for this build. That said, I’m really pleased with the build, I definitely think the frame design is a classic (can’t forget the Joe BREEZE dropouts). This Smor C.S.B. most reminds me of my brother’s WTB Phoenix, the tight triangles, knife-like maneuverability, and the giant seat post/frame geometry. It does have similarities with others from that era of steel frames like a FAT/I.F., to me those are classic steel frames. I believe Chris Daily (Smorgasbord builder out of Hershey, PA) was really putting out a great frame that’s every bit as good as any other steel frame. It’s a shame he made less than 200 hardtail frames in his short 5 year run!

Thanks for taking a look!

Here are the specs:

1996 Smorgasbord Country Style Buffet

FRAME - Reynolds 853 double butted
FORK - White Brothers XC-4
HEADSET - Chris King “Green Apple” (discontinued)
REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano Deore XTR
FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano Deore XT
HUBS - Shimano Deore XTR (front) & AC/Hugi (rear)
RIMS - Mavic XC717
TIRES - WTB Moto-Raptor 2.4 front/rear
BRAKES - Shimano Deore XTR V-brakes
BRAKE LEVERS - Avid Speed Dial Ultimate
CRANK - Cook Brothers Racing 48/34/24
PEDALS - Time ATAC
SHIFTERS - SRAM X-Ray
HANDLEBARS - Cook Brothers Racing
FREEWHEEL - Shimano Deore XTR 12-32
STEM - Thomson 130mm x 5 degree
SEAT POST - Salsa “Shaft”
SEAT - SDG S-2000 Ti Kevlar