Broke Chain

As stated, anything goes.
vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Broke Chain

Post by vpc66 »

I have Sram chains on most of the bikes...there are a couple of odd balls in the group which force me to use the chain cleaner unstead of being able to take chain off easy and slosh it around in a pail and brush if needed with cleaner then set in the sun to dry out before relube...I use dry lube so my chains do not get real nasty,just need to relube more often.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

willywill

Post by willywill »

Currently I am not using any quick links but I have in the past and would like to now but don't have any reason to add one at the moment. Being able to take the chain off is a plus for me and I have never had any issue with chain breakage from a quick link, from not pressing it right yes, but from a quick link....nah.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I was looking at that chain on the CudaComp today.. And no wonder it broke. It was the same chain that was on it when I bought the bike. I thought I had replaced it, but it had some piece of crap HP chain..
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Dude.. What is up with this crappy chain??
Attachments
HPchain.jpg
HPchain.jpg (213.21 KiB) Viewed 5343 times

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Boy, now there's a new one for me... never heard of HP chains out of Taiwan. I saw your previous posting and when you said "HP" chain, I assumed you meant it was a Shimano HG chain that most 7 and 8 speed grouppo ran back in the day. KMC is from Taiwan and they make nearly all the chains for everyone aside from Campy, sorry to bust your bubble if you're a Shimano or SRAM fan. That's a bizarre chain, I've never seen one like it before... why would they stamp press the links to have strength in the center when that area has some of the least friction in the drivetrain?

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I don't know, but the PC-850 I just installed works a hell of a lot better than the HP crap.. I decided to try out the included quick links. It was pretty quick all right. I will see how it holds up..