Tuning question.

As stated, anything goes.
Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Tuning question.

Post by Derek »

Shifts from first (big cog) to eighth (little cog) fine, my A2MS is hesitant to go from 4th to 3rd mostly, and sometimes shifting down (little cog) to a lower gear (big cog) in general. I've tuned the crap out of it.... shifting up or shifting down with hesitation either way are my choices --- next step is maybe shorten the chain?

neo_pop_71

Re: Tuning question.

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey Derek,

Before you shorten the chain, clean the cassette and check all the teeth, especially those teeth that are ramped, pinned, or at the shift gates. When I've wrenched at my LBS to help out the owner, plenty of times the shift issues involve the middle chain ring and those cogs in the middle of the cassette or freewheel. I'm not saying that you're a weekend warrior but if you bought the bike used, chances are those are the gears that were used the most. If it's a freewheel, you're screwed but most cassettes only have the largest 3 (sometimes 4) cogs riveted on the spine. If yours are worn out, let me know, I'm sure I have some Shimano replacements... assuming you have the cassette tool and a chain whip tool to remove the lock ring. Either way, I can help you out with some spare cogs. Otherwise, a new 8 speed cassette at Jenson USA is cheap and they'll price match any online price. Do a new chain at the same time. Oh, don't go over 32 or 34 teeth, 7/8 speed rear derailleurs don not like 36 tooth cassettes and have failed every time I've seen one installed (even with a long cage rear derailleur). Here are a couple links for Shimano and Sram:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-HG41-8-Speed-Cassette

-or-

http://www.jensonusa.com/Sram-PG-850-8-Speed-Cassette

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

It's a brand new specialized 8 spd rear wheel with a Shimano cassette, the chain was new when I built the bike, shifters are the ones you sent me, maybe its time for a new derailleur.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Did you take a dump and slightly bend the hanger or derailleur ?
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Take a dump..... hah. No seriously though it has done this since the build, every variable has been modified but the derailleur.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Guess change it and see what happens...

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

The problem with that is if the derailleur is jacked, it would be screwing up at both ends of the cassette... the extremes 1, 2, 7, 8... not in the middle where you have the best chain line and the least stretch on the derailleur springs. You can swap it out but I don't think you'll much difference. Hey, go simple, replace the shift cable and see what that does. Better to mess with a $3.00 cable as opposed to a vital component. It sounds more like a minor kink in the shift cable that hanging up in the housing somewhere.

Good luck!

-D-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Have I told you lately, THANKS D for looking over our shoulder as we try to work things out and whisper clues to us..

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

vpc66 wrote:Have I told you lately, THANKS D for looking over our shoulder as we try to work things out and whisper clues to us..

Plus size ninja skills...

( :? stealthy sh*t for a 225 pound clydesdale)

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Cool, how 'bout this...

F*ck with the cheap stuff first!!!

(Cali whisper)