Li'l help with an A2RS

As stated, anything goes.
Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Li'l help with an A2RS

Post by Derek »

No serial number on the bottom bracket, found it at a junk bike shop on my ride today.... original purple anodized bars, original seatpost. 1" steertube and 3x7 trigger shifters which threw me off. Think its a medium frame. Any ideas?
Attachments
P09-24-13_16-09.jpg
P09-24-13_16-09.jpg (543.44 KiB) Viewed 8571 times

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Li'l help with an A2RS

Post by vpc66 »

I have a feeling Derek will be doing another build real soon, have some fun with it...single speed, or other set up, what was the beginning cost of this find?
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Derek,

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think any Cudas came with 1" threadless steer tube. Did you mean 1 1/8th threadless? Either way, dump that crappy fork and put a rigid fork on there. I agree with Big V., you already have a nice Cuda with some suspension and gears, go for a singlespeed build... simplify everything and make a giant BMX bike. You can't go wrong with a cheap 1x1 set up!

Have a blast with the customization!

-D-

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Nice find. Tree Amigos.. :mrgreen:
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Yea I caught that, but was not sure...just figured it was a low end model he had. I think Derek still has a rigid fork from one of his other builds. Tell you, I am so glad I did the single speed with that old steel Specialized frame....nice smooth quiet night time rider around the neighbor hood and not bad in the ruff...
Would be nice to set one up with a magic gear which of the few Cuda's I have seen done up single speed not one has it so the frame might be doomed to use a chain tension set up, but you have most of what you need unless you want fancy ...Come on Derek lets see a another SS among the pictures of fine bikes here....I would do it if I found a steel Cuda frame in my size .

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Why would it not have a serial #, thinking it maybe a super early one? And without dismantling the headset and by just eyeballing it I'd bet a dollar to to your donut that it's NOT 1-1/8", hence the confusion. The shocks are toast. I was curious about this bike when it was made etc. I screwed up and gushed about it to the owner of the shop and now I am afraid to ask about the price.

I still have the silver/black A2R that I poached the parts from for the A2MS, it still needs a bottom bracket.

Not sure about going single speed, or rigid.... Lotta hills in them thar hills. Something to think about though.

Not ruling out a build of some sort this winter though.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Hey before you say NO read up on single speed bikes. There are a number of post on MTBR forum in the single speed section. It really makes you think about how you ride, for one- how many of the gear combinations do you REALLY use and you need to understand that most of the gears just repeat their self to make the same ratio. A person that is in shape will ride a single speed up the grade faster than one using granny gear on a multi speed bike and if need be you can pick up the bike and run up faster than one spinning granny gear . A single speed for the most part weighs less ( not in my case because I spent bucks on Ti and carbon parts for the Cuda ) over a geared bike with less maintenance. You made a comment about rigid forks...you really have more control with rigid and as far as the bumps go...you run as fat a tire as you can fit between the forks and stays then air way down for a cushy feel.

Here is a picture of my CHEAP single speed...yea I know the color is ...YOU KNOW ....FUGLY but the thing rides great and quiet like you would not believe because of no jockeys and gears ...plus I run Chris King hubs on the Cuda so anything other than the Cuda is QUIET to me ! Check SS bikes out, you just might drink the Kool Aid like I did...
Attachments
DSCI0008.JPG
DSCI0008.JPG (4.01 MiB) Viewed 8543 times

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

vpc66 wrote:Would be nice to set one up with a magic gear

If you're trying to nail magic gearing, make it easy on yourself and run a half link chain. Sure, it's a touch heavier but chain accuracy is worth it! Just make sure you get the 3/32nds, not 1/8th, and you can recycle it on your geared set up... like 1x8 simple build.

http://www.bikeparts.com/search_results ... Qgod-EYAzA

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Thank you D for adding that, I forgot to talk about half link which I would need a single half link to run a 16 tooth rear cog, right now my SS runs 32 X 18 but for my out of shape fine body that is fine so I have not worried about it so much.