Schwinn Homegrown Comp 2001 - Maybe

As stated, anything goes.
rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Schwinn Homegrown Comp 2001 - Maybe

Post by rbonif »

So this is close to me...$300 seems a tad high. Looks to be a 2001 Comp and I hate the fact that they painted over the original yellow...what was he thinking and lets not forget about the chessy spikes. Maybe I will offer him $175. Anyone have any experience in this Schwinn model and care to comment. My brief research has me thinking that it is the last year and bottom end model. Also while still not Yeti amde they did appear to get rave reviews.

Also here is the original factory pic and then the abomination in Black

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/bik/4119877875.html
Attachments
HOMEGROWN.jpg
HOMEGROWN.jpg (41.04 KiB) Viewed 9791 times
2001_HG1.jpg
2001_HG1.jpg (835.78 KiB) Viewed 9791 times

neo_pop_71

Re: Schwinn Homegrown Comp 2001 - Maybe

Post by neo_pop_71 »

That one has been a little too personalized for my taste, at that point it's a parts bike and those parts aren't worth $100.00. The guy would never get his asking price around here.

Anodizing Inc. made Homegrowns go for $200 to $400 depending on condition and components. These were the end of the run for US made Homegrowns. The one you're asking about is an Anodizing Inc. made Homegrown.

Control Tech made Homegrowns fetch $200 to $500 for the same reasons mentioned above. Legit Yeti made "Factory USA" 7005 Easton Elite bike with full XTR fetch a grand easily. The Control Tech bikes were made of 6061 aluminum and not the 7005 Easton Elite aluminum that Yeti used. Also, the Yeti bikes were full XTR, while the Control Tech bikes were XT and later XT/LX mix. The Control Tech Homegrowns did not have true "Bass Boat" metal flake paint, only solid color paint with the same checkered flag and USA tomato decals. I've seen a handful of Yeti made Homegrowns in person, all have a tomato decal with the words "Factory USA" on them. Keep in mind that there were only 500 Yeti made Homegrowns and that number is thought to be on the high side. Only the Yeti made Schwinn Straight 6 full suspension with the Mert Lawwill 4 bar linkage swing arm came in Bass Boat red/gold or Bass Boat blue (see #3 below).

Possibly one of the original 300 made by Control Tech, Pre-Yeti (see #1 below):

http://rockies.en.craigslist.org/bik/4065549493.html

This seller is right to call his bike a Control Tech made frame but he is wrong to call his bike "Bass Boat" as it is not gold flake, merely blue (see #2 below).

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/bik/4120154203.html

Bonus Tomato has it all spelled out and verified by people from Yeti.

http://bonustomato.com/?q=node/46

rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by rbonif »

Thanks Neo...I thought $300 was high. All of my limited research came from the site you listed. I am almost done with my A2L (waiting on a FD adapter clamp) and was thinking of my next project. If the deal was right I would have stripped the HG down and repainted the original yellow. Maybe if the ad goes stale I will offer him $125 and see what happens.

Really appreciate the advice.

Ron

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Go vintage...

Hard to beat an American made black chrome Schwinn High Sierra with front and rear Suntour Rolller Cam brakes. Only $75 in Oakland, N. Jersey, that bike would be 3 bills easy around here as nice American made steel fetches a premium.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/4121161838.html

rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by rbonif »

cool...I will check this out this weekend. I am going to assume the seller isn't in advertising/marketing...not the best selling technique to put the bike next to a dumpster in your picture.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Right on, I hope the seller still has it and he or she is looking to get rid of it, maybe 60 bucks takes it... here's hoping!

Here are the Schwinn catalog specs from the MOMBAT site:

http://mombat.org/Schwinn_Specs.htm

According to that chart, the High Sierra came in black chrome in '87 and '88.

I'll split it with you or maybe I'll pay you whatever you get it for, I need a roller cam fork and some roller cam brakes for my Panasonic MC7500 frame project. No hard feelings if you decide to keep it and clean it up... it's the right price and will make and awesome everything bike! I built up a single speed go anywhere bike using a '86 Nashbar Terra XT. It's basically a Stumpjumper Sport from the same year, built in the same factory by the same people with the exact specs, but the Terra XT used Ishiwata CrMo and got a gold flake "Sunset Orange" paint job. I usually ride it to the Farmers' Market, my wife ride the High Sierra grocery getter I built for her, and pee-wee rides her A2Z Cuda. The monster basket on the High Sierra usually means I don't have to carry anything back.

Good luck with the High Sierra, I think you be pleasantly surprised!

Peace'fo'real,

-D-

My '88 HIgh Sierra in yellow paint has fillet brazing on the head tube, I'm not sure about the black chrome model but keep your fingers crossed... a black chrome fillet brazed frame would be incredible!

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Take your time. The right bike will pop up. :mrgreen:
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis