Complain if you wanna.....

As stated, anything goes.
Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Complain if you wanna.....

Post by Derek »

I have seriously considered the single speed option, and decided against it.

I am thinking for the next build I want to do a one-by or a two-by 9 or 10. The front end is a no- brainer. My question is - do I need to consider the wheel when buying a cartridge, can I mount a 9-speed cartridge to a former 8-speed wheel?

I know the derailleur/shifter and chains are different, etc but that one I haven't considered yet.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Complain if you wanna.....

Post by vpc66 »

Sorry Derek but do you mean cassette, most up-to -date freewheel hub bodies will carry 8/9/10 you could run 7 if you cared for that you just run a spacer on the hub to take up the extra space. I am trying to remember how the chain is, I do know one for a 11 is narrow but want to say that is the next step and one chain should work for the other three. As stated before, I drank the single speed KOOL-AID so I would say if you really want a 1x? I would do no more than a GOD I want to say 8 but I bet you want to go big so 9. I know from Neo's post he really likes 7 . I take it you have been checking out up-to-date top end bikes, they are set up with two in the front because of less weight and the fact that there is no need for three on the front for somebody in shape and more than likely racing, bet that came from the single speed fad which showed the super low gears are a waste of time when you can just man the bike up the climb or get off and run up the hill faster than spinning low gears.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Yes, cassette, not cartridge. TDK not Atari. And no, I was thinking about swapping the cassette from one of my old 7-speed wheels to an 8 or 9 speed. I have a nice set of wheels from my Trek Single Track (stolen a few years ago).

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Right on Derek, nice to see you postin' to the board instead of paddlin' yo' puddin' with yo' spatula!

Chains: 5-8 speed run the same width chain, 9 speed needs a narrower 9 speed chain, the same for 10 speed and 11 speed. Each additional speed past 8 the price grows significantly; that said, the price on 9 speed has come down a lot since 11 speed hit the market. For the dough, 8 speed is where it's at... same wheels (usually, see below) and same chain when you move parts between the 5 through 8 range.

Wheels: 7, 8, and 9 will fit on the same hub body but if you have an older/earlier 7 speed, there was no consideration for the future 8 speed development and 8 and 9 speed will not work. The later 7 speed hub bodies had taller threads on the lock ring side so they would accept the 8 speed and eventual 9 speed swap over. If your wheels are quality and they're in good shape, simply get a new 8 speed hub body and install it... now your wheels are ready for the future regardless of build. The 8 speed hub bodies are cheap, especially when compared with the cost of a used quality set of wheels.

On my '88 Cimarron LE that I just finished, I ran the 1st generation Shimano "Deerhead" XT but I swapped out the 13-32T 6 speed freewheel with a new 8 speed 13-32T freewheel. I simply had to let out the limit screws on the rear derailleur. For the front I ran a swaged Sugino Super Maxy crank with 50/39T chain rings, I decided to run the crank without the 28T small ring. Like Vinny said, no need for the triple, the gear overlap between a 50/13T and 39/32T will cover most everything. I had to bring the limit screw in on the front derailleur since I wasn't running the small ring. My fat butt isn't too proud to jump off and run the hill, I guess that's leftover from the old cyclocross racing days.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

My 90 Cannondale road bike is a 7 and wish I could get a 8 spd cassette that I have laying around on it, but it is older one. That hub is the one they did right before the change, it has the threads on the end so you could run older cassettes where the last gear threads on to hold it in place or run the newer set up that you see today but...it is still to short to put a 8 on. I thought about putting a newer body on to use on the Lotus, but the wheel set it self is not a very high end model so it might be a waste.

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Thanks D and Vin. I have disposable income and time to spend it now. :D Found a NICE Trek Single Track maybe for the build. It's about 70 miles away but only $50 so I am weighing it. No final decisions yet. The threaded headset is kind of holding me back. Gonna pick up some period correct Mavics with XTR hubs tomorrow.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Have a good time with what ever build you get into Derek !

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Derek wrote:Gonna pick up some period correct Mavics with XTR hubs tomorrow.

Oooohhh, those sound great! Do you know what year bike the wheels came from? Those sound like they would be the silver body hubs, not the gray everyone associates with XTR, some silver XTR is always a tasty addition to any vintage build. Some photos would be nice too...

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Yes they are the silver hubs. They have been hanging in the guys garage for 10 years. $20 for the set, I feel kinda guilty. :roll:

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Why feel guilty, the guy has let them hang with no love giving to them plus, have you seen and fondled them yet...they might be worth 20 bucks if they are beat to death. If not ENJOY and ride them like you stole them...oooops you did !