anyone heard of an Appaloosa?

As stated, anything goes.
rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

anyone heard of an Appaloosa?

Post by rbonif »

I am intrigued but can't find anything on this. I can pick it up for $75 (less back wheel which got stolen).

thanks
Ron
Attachments
appaloosa.jpg
appaloosa.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 11267 times

mixalive

Re: anyone heard of an Appaloosa?

Post by mixalive »

Looks cool..
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

There are two bikes named "Appaloosa" and you have the older one... the new one is made by Rivendell and they cost $5,000.00. Sorry Ron, no monster payday today! That said, the original Appaloosa was a K2 bike made in the 1990s, K2 bikes fazed in as Pro-Flex fazed out in the mid-90s, they had the same parent comapny. I'm almost positive it was outsourced and made by Trek, it would have been a better line for K2 (being US made as opposed to one made in Asia) but a mid-line in the Trek hierarchy because it was tig welded CrMo tubing as opposed to the lugged True Temper OX 2 tubing on the Trek. It's not a bad bike by any means, it has the same characteristics as the Trek like "USA" on the seat stays and bent tubing cable stop (see photos), but it's just not a higher end tube set. Also, be sure that it has 26" wheels and not 24" wheels that I'm remembering... hence, why it's called "Gran Pony" on the down tube.

rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by rbonif »

Thanks Neo...figured it was worth a shot and ask. I will def pass as I am still building the Easton. Almost all the parts are in waiting on some turquoise top line cranks before assembling the drive-train. I did score an awesome ringle stem also. I am a bit annoyed though as the frame came without the rear brake bosses and I needed to order some from China as the spare ones I have seem to be too long to screw all the way in. I hope the ones I even ordered will fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ringle- ... true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AC-Cran ... true&rt=nc

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Don you remind me of a dive buddy I have, you say a brand name and he will go into the whole history of said part...do you sit around reading bike history books or something. Heck I caught the post on the bike as soon as he post it and tried to find it on line and came up with nothing other than the name used as a model name on some bikes. From the way it look Trek pop to mind but I could not tie anything on line to it.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by rbonif »

I couldn't agree more...next time I will take a picture of just the pedal and see if he gets it

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Sounds like a new thread on the forum, title will be Stump Don....if you beat him you win.....well nothing other than the fact you came upon some bike item Don does not know of!

Errrr....So new folks get it, should be Stump Neo

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Ha- you guys are funny! Thanks but I'm no bike wizard and I certainly don't know all there is to know. Back in the 80s and 90s I took every bike magazine there was (just like I did as a kid growing up with every skate, punk, and surf zine I could find), I suppose I was a bit obsessed, but what's not to love about the freedom that bikes provided!

If you want to know a real bike guru, search "T-Mar" on the C&V (classic & vintage) forum on Bike Forums website, that guy knows everything and he can back it up with catalogs. He has been so helpful to so many people, his catalog collection is one for the ages. I had a spray-bombed road bike frame, nothing identifiable aside from the era of the parts on the frame. I loaded a couple pics and listed the parts, within a day T-Mar replied to my inquiry, he narrowed it down to only three manufacturers were making lugged steel road frames in the early 90s. He asked about the drop outs (a single threaded eyelet in the cast drop out), I replied, and almost immediately he nailed it that I had a 1993 Giant Kronos. Now that is pure guru status in my book!!!

Have a great weekend my fellow Cudaheads!

-D-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Yea but you are our local guru so accept it :)

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Aw schucks... gettin' me all bashful... now f*ck off and leave me alone!!!