Be honest...

As stated, anything goes.
neo_pop_71

Be honest...

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Okay gang, the weekend is almost up and I'm curious how many of you went for a ride or at least turned a wrench on one of your bikes (Cuda or otherwise)?

C'mon now be honest...

No shame in your game if you didn't get a chance, things come up... the weather still has you trapped inside, a love rendevous with that special someone, family commitments, or maybe March Madness has you glued to the couch.

I ask because I heard so many different reasons as to why someone wasn't showing up to the Saturday trail or Sunday morning road rides. It was as if sickness, hang over, bike failure, etc... you name it, I heard it! The up side was no drama on the rides and the trails were more open, both of which I gladly welcome!!!

Also, I did make some time to tear down my Psycle Werks Wild Hare, freshen up all the moving parts, and begin to rebuild my only "modern" bike. By "modern" I mean full suspension, as in the way that's all they seem to sell at my LBS or care about in the bike magazines. In truth my Psycle Werks is period correct with our Cudas as it's a 1996 or so model since the rear swing are is not designed for disc brakes.

So, what'cha got?

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Be honest...

Post by vpc66 »

Kids, washing clothes, wife at work...yea I thought about pulling one of the bikes out for a quick neighbor hood ride, maybe to hit the local park for a spin...but NO! I did start lacing up a rear wheel because I want to learn wheel building and have a old set I can play with...well dealing with the kids and clothes right as I am close to finish ....duh...being the last few spokes going in...I notice I had the count off on other side which screwed things up.. start over..errrr.
Question....how many of you guys deal with every aspect of the bike build. A few of my riding buddies that have put bikes together will put parts on as I have but when it comes to making a wheelset they say NO...Am I stupid to think it would be, shall I say fun with a bit of self reward in learning to true and build wheels
Last edited by vpc66 on March 17th, 2014, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Jeeez....Am I the only one beside Neo to touch bike or part over the weekend !

rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by rbonif »

I took the new A2E out around Central Park in NYC. Actually the GF ended up riding it and I rode her Trek 820 (WSD)...thats right I spend all this money on builds and I end up riding a chick's bike around the city....go figure.

BTW the bike rode great but I have some ghost shifting in one gear in the middle chain ring I need to figure out and fix.

zoltanka79
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by zoltanka79 »

I rode my Cuda two weeks ago, and last weekend i went out with my new 4x bike. Right now we have bad weather....
Zoltan

rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by rbonif »

Neo, I see you put on the new seat you won from EBAY. that bike is so cool

Chitown Cuda

Post by Chitown Cuda »

i actually spent lil time working on my 96 dakar team full suspension, like the cuda i tend to keep my bikes a long time...ill have to post pics, she is a sweet ride, i built wheels on this one myself, its super tedious but after a few relacings ull figure it out! what worked for me was counting twists for each spoke to get them snug, then its just fine tuning, im a real freak about keeping all the parts clean spend winter breaking down cleanig and rebuilding the fleet! i need to get out and ride!!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Thanks for the reply on my question Chitown, do you use the diy set up..as in the frame or have you set up with a truing stand, dish tool and spoke tension meter....what is your view on that?
And hats off to the gang that made it out for some riding,it is cool to work on bikes but riding is still better and the whole reason we have these things !

Chitown Cuda

Post by Chitown Cuda »

truing stand and dish tool. i played around with tension a bit i tighten until right befor u really have to put some pressure to make spoke snug u can tell a loose spoke,overtighten one just to get the feel for the other end of the spectrum, im kinda a geek i also read a few articles on wheel building u just never know whos explanation sets off the lightbulb! good luck all about patience.

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

I have a fleet of bikes because I keep buying them to ride everyday and save wear tear on the A2MS and A2R. But at least three times a week I find myself taking one of them off the wall, walking right past the Trek, Giant, and Haro.

I haven't laced any spokes, but I am fairly proficient with truing them.

I need to disassemble all of them to clean all the grit from riding in the snow, brake parts cleaner and re-lubing only go so far if everything is still bolted together.