Another one for you Don....

As stated, anything goes.
vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Another one for you Don....

Post by vpc66 »

DANG....from the pic's it looks like the thing was bought then wrap in bubble wrap and put in a nice safe corner somewhere...yea you stole that thing, what was the price again..$100.oo
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

vpc66 wrote:DANG....from the pic's it looks like the thing was bought then wrap in bubble wrap and put in a nice safe corner somewhere...yea you stole that thing, what was the price again..$100.oo

No doubt, I couldn't agree more, you did steal it! That 7 speed XT group is one of the best groups that Shimano ever made! From the blacked out levers, to the weight weenie cut away shift/brake pods, and the tougher than most rocks rear derailleur... the group was spec'ed only on high end models.... awesome condition! That group is worth way more than you paid for the bike!

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Yup it was a bill. The headset is actually a little stiff, and I don't like messing with threaded, but I am sure its an easy fix. Probably just from sitting.
I'll jack with it later.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

The grease has probably crystalized... break it down, clean the bearings and the races, and preferably repack with "Phil" bearing grease. While it's apart and before you repack the grease, check to be sure the the races are not pitted. Sometimes when it sits without use the steel balls bearings will pit indentations into the smooth race surface. If it is pitted, it's junk and will never be right, cut your losses and buy a new one like an Odyssey or a Tioga... both can be gotten cheaply on Ebay. If Ebay isn't your thing, try Jenson, Niagara, or Nashbar; someone will have a cheap 1" threaded headset.

Good luck!

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

I got to cleaning and lubing the Axis today. Freed up the headset, Though I'd like to have the caged bearings instead of all the little balls. Any suggestions? It's nice and slick right now but for the future I don't wanna mess with putting them in one by one. You know, like prom night. :twisted:

Also - it still doesn't ride hands free very well. You think that might be the old Panaracers? They are actually still in very good shape. Barely showing signs of dry rot.

***EDIT*** It was the tires. I just installed a pair of new Kendas and it rides like a magic carpet. All you have to do now is think "avoid that manhole cover" and it does it by instinct.

We have a keeper unless someone wants to double my money.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Cool Beans there Derek !

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

You looking at another ride Derek...by the way, does Em ride any, if so what does she ride ?

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

I am always shopping, I get in trouble sometimes. Emily rides a DB Vital 1 we got from a LBS.