My new 50 year old truck

As stated, anything goes.
neo_pop_71

My new 50 year old truck

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey guys... long time no post. How've things been? It seems from what I gather that it's been quiet.

Sorry to have contributed to the silence but I've been busy with many things, I built a few bikes and sold a few bikes, but the big purchase involved years of empty searches. That said, all my empty searches finally paid off and I'm the proud new owner of a 1963 Dodge D-100 Sweptline Custom Cab. Some basic highlights for a Custom Cab Sweptline are the chrome grill, chrome bumper, chrome rain gutter on the cab, push button transmission, Dodge radio, and factory air conditioning. None of those details were common on a stock Sweptline. The original owner was a farmer in Northern California, the truck was sold to the second owner who was a local relative to the original owner, that second is responsible for fixing up the truck. The main modifications involve all the moldings and emblems were removed and the holes were metal filled, the gas tank filler removed and filled, and the 318 V8 that came with the Custom Cab package was swapped out for a Mopar 440 c.i. big block V8 motor. I bought the truck from a father and son who purchased the truck from the second owner as a father/son project and they brought the down to Southern California. As things go, the teen son was more interested in a contemporary car and they sold the truck to me. I feel like I hit the lottery!!! This truck is so much more than any I previously hoped to buy... a big block Mopar motor with a push button tranny and factory A/C plus being mostly unmolested... all I had to do was add some 1950's hot rod mirrors and some new 4" white wall tires. I love how the truck came out! There are some other mods I plan to do like front disc brakes and bring the stance down a bit but for now I'm just stoked to drive it!!!

You guys will have to excuse the moonlit photos, I was coming back from a hot rod and rat rod late night cruise and figured I'd better get some new photos taken. I will take some on my next outing with the sun out.

neo_pop_71

Re: My new 50 year old truck

Post by neo_pop_71 »

I figure I might as well add this drawing to this topic...

I had a small bit of spare time tonight and decided to do a quick sketch, something of an ode to my hero Big Daddy Roth. Ed "Big Daddy" Roth never did do a Fink Weirdo drawing of a Dodge Sweptline truck (he did do a '60's Dodge A-van), I figured I'd give it a shot and sort of throw myself in it as a self-portrait. Love it or hate it, I always appreciate feedback. I've been critiqued my whole life... I'm not thin skinned and can take a harsh review. Thanks in advance for sharing your opinion! Remember, opinions are like A$$holes, we all have one... suckers!!!

Peace,

-D-

p.s. Southern Sweet Tea is the drink for me... cheers!

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Is that one of the old wedge motors?

I picked up a couple of things for the Stingray build today.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Derek wrote:Is that one of the old wedge motors?

I picked up a couple of things for the Stingray build today.

Hey Derek-

Yep, you know your stuff, it is a wedge motor... the hefty cousin and slightly less costly to the Hemi. As much as a vintage Hemi would be choice to have, the cost of vintage Mopar (especially Hemi) makes me thankful to have a 440 instead of a Hemi. As it sits with grooved 8.20s wide whites in the rear it's not much more than a tap of the pedal to spin tire and/or break 'em loose with a fishtail as that empty bed doesn't weigh much. I'm still having fun and haven't dug too deep at this point to look for future fixes or upgrades.

What Stingray build do you have going?

C'mon man, don't hold out on me!!!

-D-

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

I finished the stingray and ended up selling it, someone made an offer I couldn't refuse and it went to a good home. I actually interviewed him. Blue collar guy that has done well for himself in construction. I do have pics but my phone is in the bedroom and wifey hasn't stirred yet. I'll post them soon.

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Oh and I was gonna say, I have built two late 70's El Caminos. The smaller body, *'78 and '79. On I put a 350 in one and the other I put a small block 400. They were beasts. The 79 I did a 6" cowl scoop (right turns were scary, couldn't see over the hood) with an air pan to ensure cold air to the Holley. 3:42 Auburn trac-loc, It red lined at 112mph but it got there in a hurry. But my point- no weight over the rear end and you could steer with the gas pedal (I think they call that drifting these days).

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Send the Ford down the road yet or still taking space. Any new bike build pictures to share ?
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Hey Derek, you were quiet about selling the muscle bike, wonder what became of it ?
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane