What have you been doing?

As stated, anything goes.
vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: What have you been doing?

Post by vpc66 »

Another cool build you have there " D " sure you will have a blast riding that one ! You like that small section of Croom, I wish I had taking pictures of the ride at Alafia....that is a hang on and enjoy the roller coaster kind of ride.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

vpc66 wrote:Another cool build you have there " D " sure you will have a blast riding that one ! You like that small section of Croom, I wish I had taking pictures of the ride at Alafia....that is a hang on and enjoy the roller coaster kind of ride.

Thanks Big V. for the kind words, always nice to hear from a valued opinion!

As much as I love the bike and its current set up, I'm making another change... the White Bothers fork has to go! I'm dropping that fork for a longer travel White Brothers fork. I just picked up a SC92UL from a seller on Ebay, so I'm swapping 72mm of travel for 92mm of travel. The extra travel will be a better fit for the 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" adjustable travel in the rear. I originally had a 110mm fork and that was awful, so the 72mm White Brothers was on hand and provided much better control. That said, it lacked some guts and caused me to second guess my lines numerous times. The long steer tube, cut at 8 15/16", will do wonders to raise my forward riding position and save some lower back fatigue. I can't wait for it to arrive and get it installed, I think this last bit of adjusting will make my mango 'Hare into the perfect XC bike!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Funny you post this, I was going to ask you what the travel was on that ride. Figured being where you are this was a long travel bike and you like it that way. What was that frame made to run to begin with? By the way I had a good time while on lunch break checking the Hecklers out,thanks for the link,way better than Flea-bay for amount of bikes. Only problem is most of them are complete bikes...which could be a good thing but I do enjoy a frame up build so it is a product of my taste. And yes I found a few small Hecklers and sure the right one will pop up one of these days

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

"...long travel bike and you like it that way."

Ha- it has nothing to with how I like it as much as it has to be that way for there to be any suspension under my fat ass... less want and more need my man!

The WildHares going back to the '96 model with the dual disc Marzocchi Bomber fork all ran 100mm up front. Sherwood Gibson the man behind Ventana Bikes designed these Psycle Werks bikes, he had the 100mm designed to balance out the adjustable rear shock that has a 3 1/2" or 4 1/2" travel setting. Same way with my Screamin' Demon, 120mm-130mm to balance the 4 1/2" or 5 1/2" travel setting. If you look at the swing arm to shock linkage you'll see two holes, that's the adjustment point between the swing arm travel. Tiny difference where the shock mounts equal an inch of travel at the rear axle. That's always been a bright spot on the design for me, single adjustment that can be made at the trail head with no special tools needed.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for a WildHare or a Heckler in your size... if it's a good deal I'll buy it for you and charge you double what I paid... sucka!!!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

4 or 5 inches is all I need.... :oops: sure you will have fun with that line ! I am in Florida for the love of the bike gods, think about it, a hand full of years back what the freeride and down hill guys were running and I did that ride at Alafia with folks all around me on brand new AM bikes with 6 plus travel . I can see the disc brakes and more up right position on the bike with some fat knobby tires. Would like a 1 X 9/10 gear..run a N/W chain ring with short derail and beefy wheelset. Heck there is a local SWAMP club guy that does youtube videos on these trail with a 26" full rigid bad ass bike, and rips through the runs. I like the thought of that just not sure my old body could handle it ( SHUT UP DEREK...I know you will say something ) so I figure a little Monkey Motion bike would do the trick !

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

This weather is killing me, we are running temps way lower than years past and the one nice weekend we had lately my truck was broke down and I had to work on it just so I could get to work with out bumming a ride. I hope to hit the trails in a week or two which puts us about Christmas time and the family might not like that but, I really need to ride. Sure would be nice to hear what is going on with others in the group, maybe some pictures to share, always nice to see what riding is like away from home trails...I know Derek will drop some snow riding pictures as soon as they get deep enough snow for that crazy man to go out in.

If I do not make a post before the end of the month, HAPPY HOLIDAY for what ever one you enjoy and if you do not enjoy any, enjoy the month,bike build or rides...what ever it is, but be safe !

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

I've been riding quite a bit, denting fenders and hitting curbs lately. I've had so much crap stolen in the last couple of years it's disheartening and I hate stopping anywhere. Vin- the A2MS is my fave and sees the most action. The Diamondback Axis is well preserved. I mounted the Bontrager and Nevegals in anticipation of snow, but wish I'd have kept the 2.0 Kenda slicks on with the warmish weather we've been having.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Did not know you used Nevegals, that is the tires I run on my purple SS and when we have lots of rain I have put them on the Cuda when I need gears for the ride. They grip like crazy but god I think you could roll a cinder bock up a rocky mountain side faster than they roll, great tires other than that !
Wish we were warmer than what we have been, but I know how you enjoy your snow rides and sure it will come soon...maybe you will wake up to a white Christmas !

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

They are noisy for sure. But we should have 2 feet of snow by now.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Yeah, they do produce more noise for sure, but the slug like rolling gets to me more...but god they grip! Kinda funny how we are cooler this year and storms have been crazy up north yet you are still free of snow. You know when it shows up you will be hit hard, but then we will get the crazy snow ride pictures.