Out with the new, in with the old

As stated, anything goes.
vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Out with the new, in with the old

Post by vpc66 »

Some of the first parts for the build and odd for me to say being a self proclaim weight weenie....MY HUBS WEIGH MORE THAN YOURS ! I swear to the bike gods the rear hub weighs close to my whole Cuda, just slightly joking but they made stuff to last back then for sure.
I hope this turns out to be a pretty ride but not to nice due to I like riding my bikes and not hanging them on a wall !
The front hub looks to me like somebody stuck all thread in for the axle...it is way to shiny for the age plus the ends show signs of being cut and sand down a bit, but the hub and cones is really all I care about !
Attachments
019.jpg
019.jpg (517.42 KiB) Viewed 17987 times
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Re: Out with the new, in with the old

Post by neo_pop_71 »

vpc66 wrote:I hope this turns out to be a pretty ride but not to nice due to I like riding my bikes and not hanging them on a wall !

Ha-

You might be able to hang those hubs on the wall but bicycle wall art that Colson will never be... you'd have to double stud the wall to hang that skip tooth boat anchor!!!

Looking good so far!

-D-

p.s. Sorry for laggin' on my end!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

If the weight of the rear hub is a indication of total weight, a steel I beam might be needed ! They refer to that generation as the greatest from their actions during WW2 but I think they were just bad asses due to riding 80 lbs ( bit of stretch for fun )bikes around and I have seen old pictures of kids jumping these things in full dress. The build I plan will be a strip down balloon tire bike, but will post weight just for the fun to see what it tops out at....from the parts I have been checking out it will be a full steel bike with no alloy ...unless the stem I use is from a old but new enough road bike to be alloy.

No problem "D" but the wife has been coming up with reasons to need funds and I can only hold off the hidden funds for so long...plus my brother is going crazy wanting to see it and ride when it is done...as IF. Just joking, makes me happy when folks ride my bikes and have a good time, but being my brother I will give him a hard time about it for my own fun !

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Have my grubby little hands on a number of parts but this is a slow build finding parts I want that are close to being period correct or close, a few items will be new with a old school flare. I have been making my choice of parts on period parts with the best chrome I can find in hope to keep from having to redo the chrome so they will have slight blemish here and there.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

What area can you begin to mock up?

I say pick a spot and run with it, you'll feel like you are progressing, that's always a mental hurdle for me.

Keep up with the photo documentation too, you'll have a great pictorial by the time the Colson is done!

C'mon now...

-D-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

I have pic's of the parts, well none of the saddle at this time. As I said on FB, I can dry fit the BB area and with the rigid forks and the stem on there I can put the handlebars on, which none of that will be used, if I do not get those bars re chrome I will get different bars in same style..I figure the cost could be the same but need to check that out first. There is a shim on ebay but they want a butt load for it, I thought about doing a mod with a modern seat post shim if I could get one thick enough..that post is 5/8 and the seat tube is 13/16...they sure did some funky sizes back then. There was on post that had those sizes made on it but I wanted to use the one you got and flip it around so the normal part the seat goes on is in the seat post tube so I can get the seat back a bit more and really rake it out .
Last edited by vpc66 on February 18th, 2015, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

That's about the amount of space I needed to shim the STI levers (23.8mm) I ran with the Soma Sparrow handlebars (22.2mm)... 1.6mm which converts to 1/16th of an inch. They sell shims for this exact size, call it roughly 1/8th inch you need to take up without needed to gorilla the seat clamp into submission. Here is a link to a set I bought, I preferred these because they were knurled as opposed to simple being smooth metal. A little trial and error to figure out whether you'll need to run 2 or 3 shims is no matter since you receive 4 shims in the package. This should work nicely and save your wallet, here is the link:

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p300/buy/ ... p-clamps-/

Oh, I found the bars you suggested, these would be perfectly (coincidently would require me running the same shim above) and the price was reasonable... however, given the size of the bars, the shipping cost more than the damn bars!!! Check out the link:`

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Ape-Hange ... 4190353b40

Hopefully I can find the same bars locally. Sick'n''Twisted Customs near me, the guys that make the full size fenders, sell something like it but not exactly same. Thanks again for the suggestion!

-D-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Yep, I feel a narrow style bar would flow better with the rear of the bike, I was thinking more drag bar style but you have the seat set way back....which is part of the cool look of the build so far so need to work with that. I will check out the shims or hit up one of the shops I am friendly with and see if I could check they shim out for thickness before I buy...

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

If it's an older shop, they should have plenty of older metal parts. Newer shops are a bit of a let down in my opinion as everything they tend to have in their mechanics' "spares" bin is carbon safe which means no metal.

As for my build, I almost wish I didn't like the look of the bike so much, I sort of painted myself into a corner and now my bar options are really limited. Oh well, I can always change it... as I'm chronically prone to do.

Thanks again for pointing me in that direction!

Peace,

-D-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

See if this works....Hey they work for a change !!!! Well " D " you know my plan will not use those forks or stem and the saddle needs to be restored, but for those who care...this is the start of my 36 Colson board track inspired ride. I have the front hub and cream color brick tread tires also. The color I have in mind is sea foam green which I think will be nice for a ride from that era...
Attachments
20150218_190245.jpg
20150218_190245.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 17838 times
20150218_190216.jpg
20150218_190216.jpg (929.53 KiB) Viewed 17838 times
20150218_190150.jpg
20150218_190150.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 17838 times
20150218_190133.jpg
20150218_190133.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 17838 times