another Barracuda fan ... with a sad story

Come on in and say hello. You'd be surprised at how many like-minded individuals are out there!
fizzbanana

another Barracuda fan ... with a sad story

Post by fizzbanana »

Hey All,

I lived in Lake Tahoe, CA for a a few years during 2000 - 2003. While there I crossed paths with someone selling a Barracuda 1995 Dos Equis XXTeam. I knew nothing about Barracuda, but immediately fell in love with the bike and bought it for $250.

I took that Barracuda on some monster rides in the Tahoe National Forest. Then one day ... taking a closer look at the head tube ... I noticed that it had been touched up with a little bit of white paint. Hiding behind this paint was a little crack. :cry:

I was devastated and a little pissed off at the person who sold me the bike (maybe even more pissed off at myself for not looking closely enough at the bike before buying!!!). At that point I was crazy in love with my Barracuda. I was told the aluminum frame was useless because of the crack and that it couldn't be fixed. Frantically, I tried to figure out what I could do.

I spent some time searching for information on Barracuda. Couldn't find much. Ultimately I managed to find a contact at Ross Bicycles willing to honor the lifetime warranty on the frame!

After months of waiting for the replacement...it finally arrived!

I open the box ... and immediately knew something was up. My old Barracuda was Gold and White ... this one was Silver and Yellow. Even worse ... no Tree Amigos logo!!! :shock: Thankfully the top tube was still tear shaped!

I have no right to complain. A broken Barracuda frame replaced with a new one...OK, there is one missing sticker replaced with another Barracuda head sticker and there are some color differences in the paint ... otherwise the frame is more or less the same.

I love my non-"1995 Dos Equis XXTeam", it is a Barracuda nonetheless. We have had (and will continue to have) some epic rides together!

I have never talked to my current Barracuda about the "other" Barracuda.
I never compare the current Barracuda with the original, they are
Obviously, I would be lying if I said I am completely over the orignal ... :roll:

It does bring me great happiness to see that there other fanatics of Barracuda bikes!

-mark

Mark
Founder
Founder

Re: another Barracuda fan ... with a sad story

Post by Mark »

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the site, and thanks for sharing your story. Do you still have your original 1995/96 frame? This can be repaired, if you're willing to spend a little bit of money to do it.

Because your crack didn't spread while you used the bike, I'd think it's either a very minor crack, or you don't abuse the frame when you ride. Either way, it's better news for you. There are a few companies scattered about that will precisely measure the outside of your headtube, and put a ring or sleeve around it, thereby reinforcing the area cracked. They can also weld this into place.

A lot of people wouldn't trust it, but I've seen this repair work and if you love the frame that much, and wish to put it back into service, this may be the option for you.

fizzbanana

Post by fizzbanana »

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately the frame is long gone. I had to send it to Ross to get the new frame.

It would have been nice if I could have kept the old frame. In any case I would have stopped using it on the trails.

Oh well. I look forward to seeing your decal files.

One of these days I'll have to make myself one of them there Tree Amigos decals.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

You could do a repaint with XX decals like a tribute and would be the bomb. I have an A2R I am seriously considering just that.
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis