First 'Cuda...

Come on in and say hello. You'd be surprised at how many like-minded individuals are out there!
cerealkiller

First 'Cuda...

Post by cerealkiller »

Just picked up my first cuda. Looks to be a '95 A2Z (I know... not quite top of the line). Found it on Craigslist for $30.00. It is not to bad shape. Needs saddle, cranks, and an overall tune. Was just thinking of just putting some front shocks on it and calling it good, but after looking at this forum my mind is racing. I was just hoping to build a fun "frankenstein" bike to thrash around on.

I saw the ad for it and suddenly got a flashback to all the cuda's I used to see back in the day. I had to have it. Especially for less then a crappy Mongoose or Next. Can't wait to tear it down!

mixalive

Re: First 'Cuda...

Post by mixalive »

$30 Barrcuda.. :o What a deal.. :mrgreen:
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by mixalive on June 3rd, 2011, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

cerealkiller

Post by cerealkiller »

So here is my question. Seeing that I have an A2Z... should I drop some coin in to upgraded components? or just get it running and ride the snot out of it?

I pulled the cranks today. There is a cool place here in Boise that is a non profit bike shop/salvage place. They have every used part imaginable and all the tools and stands to fix them. I found a some what suitable Shimano replacement crankset. Smaller top ring than OEM, but it will do.

I am just wondering if I throw some decent components on it will I just be tossing good money away?

Also, I want to put suspension forks on it, but was advised by one of the guys there that I probably shouldn't because there isn't a gusset supporting the head. Any other ideas?

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Great question about upgrading components. Here's the straight truth:

If you upgrade the components and sink some money into it, you'll have a crap frame with great components. No point in sugar coating it. :) It won't make it a better or lighter bike, but if and when you jump to a better frame, you already have some great parts to throw on it.

Suspension fork is ok, even without a gusset, but stick to the forks made around 95,96 with little travel (58mm), or else you'll change the geometry too much and it won't handle well.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

[RE: suspension forks]

Mark hit the nail on the head... you gotta watch it with the suspension forks up front. I put an 80mm Ti spring Manitou on my A2L, it handled like garbage! So, I returned to the stock rigid fork until my gold/white White Brothers SC72 arrived. Just that subtle change made all the difference!

Good luck!

-D-
Last edited by neo_pop_71 on June 3rd, 2011, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sithlord3
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by sithlord3 »

I like the old sang "cant polish a turd"....not that they made any turds...