My Forks lost suspension???

Come on in and say hello. You'd be surprised at how many like-minded individuals are out there!
CudaLover95

My Forks lost suspension???

Post by CudaLover95 »

Hi everyone! I have a '95 A2RS. I bought my first Barracuda on May 27, 1995 and still love it! I ride it every day. Recently though my forks don't have suspension anymore. Though it shows on this website my model had Rock Shox Quadra 5s, my forks are Answer Manitou Comp. Does anyone know if these forks are air, oil or other support for the suspension? They don't bounce anymore, just stay down. Thanks for any helpful replies. :)

neo_pop_71

Re: My Forks lost suspension???

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Welcome Cudalover,

Your Manitou Comp has elastomers inside, with most Manitou forks from that vintage, the elastomers break down and turn to goop inside the fork legs. Both Mixalive (check the MEMBERS section if you want to PM him) and myself have rebuilt our early Manitou forks with springs from Wings Suspension in SoCal (Orange, CA I think). He also sells on Ebay from time to time. I just bought the double spring kit but I think Mixalive bought the spring kit that has the adjustability. Mixalive is the precision king when it comes to restoration, you may want to ask him about his Manitou rebuild. Here's a link to Wings:

http://wings-suspension.com/index.html

The Manitou Comp was only made one year (1994) and cost $400.00. Just my opinion but I'd be stoked to have a Manitou Comp over a Rock Shox Quadra (or a Mag 21 or anything else R.S. made from that era). The Answer Manitou forks were superior to all others at that time... the CNC work was top, the Easton aluminum was the best, and being they were milled instead of cast you could replace damaged legs or crowns without having to junk your whole fork. Ebay almost always has replacement crowns to go from 1" to 1 1/8th" or from threaded to threadless.

I just finished rebuilding my Comp fork, it used to be on my '92 GT, now it's on my '91 Koga-Miyata that I'm rebuilding. You can see the bike at my Marketplace listing:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=351

I gave up trying to find any purple ano parts, it was either used and faded or NOS and cost a fortune. So, the rigid purple fork got yanked and the Comp was a nice upgrade and still period correct for the purists out there. I gave up trying to go period correct, much for the same reason as the purple bits... used garbage or NOS wallet busters! Instead I'm running the yellow Magura "Race-Line" hydraulic brakes, they aren't period but they too are a nice upgrade over cantilever... plus the yellow matches so nicely!!! :roll:

Good luck!

-D-

p.s. If you have other questions, fire away, there are a great group of people on this site that have always been really helpful.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I have been using the over 200lb Dual Linear Wings conversion kits on my Manitou's. You can find the Manual for the Comp at: http://suspensionforkparts.net/manitou4_mag_comp.php

Although Wings does not list a kit for the Comp, by looking at the above manual, it appears the 4, Magnum and Comp share the same Crown/Steerer. I suspect that the 4 kit will work on your bike. You may try to contact Wings to verify the compatability.

But note that even though you are converting to the springs, you will still need to replace the two 2nd stage and the two 3rd stage/rebound elastomers. Again, go to the manual as it illustrates these elastomers.
You can buy these 4 elastomers from these links: http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/esho ... ductId=111
http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/esho ... ductId=112

If you want to tackle the project, I can walk you through the process. If you feel this is too much of a hassel, you can sell the Comp to me. I have a bike just waiting for a Manitou. :mrgreen:
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

GoldenLocks

Post by GoldenLocks »

Hi CudaLover95! Welcome!

Like you, my forks lost their suspension too. :( See my post at http://www.barracudabicycles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=366

I probably won't rebuild my forks as they were'nt the highly touted Manitou or White Brothers brand.

Good Luck! Once you fix them, keep us posted as to the solution.
May the wind always be at your back

My bikes:
1994 Barracuda A2V
2000 Schwinn Peloton Pro
2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3

CudaLover95

Post by CudaLover95 »

Hi everyone, I am happy to say I found a local bike shop that persevered till they found someplace to get the spring set my Manitou forks needed to work again, it's like I have a whole new bike! :D My Barracuda is alive again and I enjoy it every day....

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

GREAT. take it you have not been riding the Cuda all this time ? Hope you enjoy your new old ride!
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane