Memories of an A2Limited

Come on in and say hello. You'd be surprised at how many like-minded individuals are out there!
neo_pop_71

Re: Memories of an A2Limited

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey Micah,

Just to be sure, since you're talking about a 19" frame vs. a 16" frame, are you around 6' tall with a 32"+ inseam? That's about the minimum you'd need to be on that 19" bike, that was the largest frame Barracuda made in 1994.

Oh yeah, one other thing... these bikes are addictive! You're going to find Cudas popping up for $80.00... maybe $125.00 and you'll feel compelled to "save" the poor thing! Take my good brother Mixalive, he came to this site with one Barracuda to his name... now, look at this postings and you'll see he is up to 4 in the stable. All added to the collection in about a year (and a damn fine collection it is too ;) ). I had 3 but I'm down to 1 presently and I truly regret selling off my other 2, however, I was up to 32 bikes when gave up my workshop (aka "The Shed") in an industrial complex. There was no way in hell my sweet wife was going to stand for all those bikes at the house! Now, I have 10 and she (I mean we :roll: ) have an understanding "old" bike out before a "new" bikes comes in. Gotta keep a happy home!!!

Good luck whichever one you score but don't say you weren't warned about the desire to own more and more!

-D-

micahhowe

Post by micahhowe »

5' 11", 30" inseam. I think you are right, the Austin bike is probably too big. I'm going to look at the 16" bike here in Houston tomorrow afternoon. I have no idea what size my old bike was, so that should give me a better idea.

Understood about wanting more and more--we have 5 bikes in the garage right now, and my wife is a little skeptical about my "need" for another one. If this Houston bike isn't right, I'll probably patiently watch for a while to see what comes up.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I would suggest the 16..
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

I agree with Mix, he's right for sure, at 5'11" the 16" frame would be better suited. Just me, 'cuz I want a deal, I wouldn't pay more than $200.00 for that bike. It looks to be in nice shape but you should figure to spend an additional $60.00 ($30.00 parts w/$30.00 labor) on new brake cables, new shift cables, a new chain, and a minor tune up just to get the bike trail worthy. I gotta know the drivetrain is sound... nothing worse than the walk back!

micahhowe

Post by micahhowe »

Went to check out the Houston bike today and passed. It was in pretty rough shape, needed a lot of work before I would ride it any distance and the guy didn't want to go below $250. Looked to be pretty much all original equipment, but it had been in a Texas garage for a long time so anything that wasn't metal was dried out and falling cracking. I don't mind rebuilding, but starting at $250 eats up a lot of my rebuilding budget. I'll keep looking.