Memories of an A2Limited

Come on in and say hello. You'd be surprised at how many like-minded individuals are out there!
micahhowe

Memories of an A2Limited

Post by micahhowe »

Man, what a great site. I didn't realize there was other Barracuda groupies out there. My first mountain bike was a '93 A2Limited. Bought it when I was in high school in Vermont and rode it like mad all the way through college. Best bike I ever owned. Moved to Texas in 1998 and it was stolen off my third floor balcony--broke my heart. Didn't get another mountain bike until 2006.

Was just thinking the other day I'd like to add a hardtail to the stable and thought I'd see if I could find any old barracudas for sale. No luck, but found this site. Great stuff, great memories. I'll be keeping tabs on the marketplace forum, I'd love to get back on a Barracuda.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Memories of an A2Limited

Post by vpc66 »

A couple of hardtail cudas for sale on ebay right now
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey Micah-

Welcome! I have an A2L and I too love the bike! Sorry to hear about your misfortune... that's a desperate fool that'll jack a bike off the third floor! F*ckin' bastards!!! Here, try this link, it's how I find 'em all about Craigslist:

http://www.google.com/#q=site:craigslis ... 90&bih=766

I count about a dozen 'Cudas after peepin' the first 3 pages

Good luck!!!

-D-

micahhowe

Post by micahhowe »

Wow, thanks guys. One the ebay bikes is here in Houston, I'll go check it out this weekend. 16 inch frame, so I'm not sure it will fit, but I also have no idea what size my old bike was.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Yep... that one has been on Craigslist for some time, it's been popping up in my searches. Here's a link:

http://houston.craigslist.org/bik/2566723304.html

Based on the color and the parts package, it's definitely a 1994, you can find all the specs from the catalog with a stock photo in the "BIKES" section at the top of the page. I'd offer the guy $200.00, only because it's not faded nor beaten up (plus it looks all stock and doesn't look to have seen much use). It needs new derailleurs, LX minimum or XT is better, but it looks like a good snag for a fair price. The seller was asking $299.00 plus $65.00 shipping... it'll never sell at that price. Get in contact with him, tell him you have $200.00 in hand and you're ready to roll, he's likely ready to unload the bike.

Best 'o' luck ! ! !

-D-

p.s. I contacted a guy through RetroBike, he's in CT., and he was trying to sell his A2Limited and was taking any reasonable offer. I'll let you know if and when he gets back to me and I'll give you and A2L status update. Peace.

micahhowe

Post by micahhowe »

I'll give it a try, the guy hasn't gotten back to me. Would love to get another A2L, so I might watch the classifieds for a while to see if one pops up. It would be crazy if my old bike actually turned up.

Also saw this one on Craigslist in Austin: http://austin.craigslist.org/spo/2620806298.html. (tried to attach a pic, but I'm not sure it worked). Called about it, the guy said it was an A2E but the frame geometry looks wrong to me based on some of the pictures I've found on this site--the top tube on the A2Es are usually more sloped, but maybe its an earlier year.
Attachments
5O25Q05T53k93ma3pbb9re9321387b195156b[1].jpg
5O25Q05T53k93ma3pbb9re9321387b195156b[1].jpg (8.29 KiB) Viewed 10677 times

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

I just checked out the listing on the Austin Craigslist... That's a 19" 1994 A2E, check the specs in the "BIKES" section at the top of the page, everything looks right minus the upgrades. The bike has been "played" with, the XT shifters and the Ringle "Peace Sign" cable hangers are certainly upgrades! Also, it looks like someone got a Dos Equis decal kit and went nuts... (see for yourself)

http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/2620893731.html

The A2E is in the correct location, the XX is not...

The Prestige sticker is correct but the "TREES" is correct but poorly placed off center...

I've never seen a Barracuda decal set for sale, never, I've searched for a few years. Yes, I know people could redo them but the Dos Equis decals look authentic... it just seems like some owner along the way came up on a decal set and went for it.

I'm curious what happened to the SR suspension fork? Personally, I think the rigid fork is an upgrade over the stock SR "boat anchor" (aka pogo stick) that was probably bottomed out. Thinking about it, this looks like a bike that someone who worked at a bike shop (that sold Barracudas) might have pieced together... that might explained a spare rigid fork and a "Team" decal set. I'd like to have those Ringle cable hangers, those might fetch $50.00 for the pair! It looks like a good bike for the price being asked... not sure if Charlie at Brazos Trading Co. is going to be flexible on the price.

Hey Mix... do you have any free time to check it out for Micah? I know it's too big for you, so you won't be adding it to your stable. ;)

-D-

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I could give him a call on Sat. to check the status.

to Micah: The reason this frame has a more horizontal top tube is that it is a larger frame. It states it is an 18.5 inch. Could be an 18 or 19. If yours had a more sloped top tube than the one in Austin, you probably had a 16 inch or 14 inch.
That Houston A2R is deff a 16 inch. You can check out my bikes on the Member Bikes section to compare to a 14 inch. All my bikes are 14 inch.

The Houston A2R looks cherry from the pictures. It even still has the wheel spoke reflectors and plastic cassette guard. I would jump on that one.. :ugeek:
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

micahhowe

Post by micahhowe »

I called him yesterday, he said he still had it. Thanks for the offer though. I may drive over to Austin on Sunday if I don't hear anything from the guy here in Houston. After looking at bikes all week, I'm dying to get out for a ride today.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Nice... a Cudahead is born!!!