Hello from FL. 1994 A2B

Come on in and say hello. You'd be surprised at how many like-minded individuals are out there!
Bonefish

Hello from FL. 1994 A2B

Post by Bonefish »

Hello to all :D This bike came up for sale locally, Cape Canaveral FL. Literally right around the corner from me. So largely due to this fine web site I bought it. Now I would like to ask for input on how I should address it's condition.
First this is what I know or think I know Serial #AB3110286
From the bikes page I believe this is a 1994 A2B because it has the exact equipment as listed for that year mainly the Shimano Alivio levers and derailleurs.
It is 18" from the center of the crank to the center of the horz. bar.

Now for the bad.Neither the front or rear gear changers operate. As you can see the front one is damaged. On the rear one the lever just moves back and forth but the cable does not move.
Front
Rear
Are these the original bars? Should they be refinished or replaced? With what?
Original kick stand?
Original tire? I know the tires will be replaced. question is with what?

So there it is and here is my planed use for it. It is stuck in a mid range gear but is ridable and my short time on it has convinced me it is well worth investing in to use for every day life even if it is almost 20 years old. My riding is all on the beach or improved roads in Wildlife management areas, either dirt or limestone type surfaces. Should the mechanicals be repaired or replaced with up to date systems. If replaced with what? I am not afraid to invest in quality parts but not gold plated ones :shock: I suppose in a nutshell the frame and wheels will defiantly be retained, everything else is on the table :|
I have a pretty extensive motorcycling background so I would like to do the work myself is it very complicated?
Why is the front brake operation on the wrong side :lol:

mixalive

Re: Hello from FL. 1994 A2B

Post by mixalive »

It is cool you bought the 94. Welcome to the forum.
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis