A little jacked up but I like it..... '95' A2RS

Come on in and say hello. You'd be surprised at how many like-minded individuals are out there!
fliier@cebridge.net

A little jacked up but I like it..... '95' A2RS

Post by fliier@cebridge.net »

Greetings Cuda headsl...

Paraphrasing Groucho, I'm not sure I "WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER". :roll:

Great to be in the company of other bike nuts!

I'm a commercial pilot by trade, and a bike nut, shade tree mechanic, and a so-so guitar player just for fun. Been living in the Dallas area for 25 plus years now. Got seriously into biking just a couple of years ago. Needed an alternative to running as the not so young joints seem to protest every time. The bike seemed like a good option and totally has been! I've made some good friends, and love the challenge and camaraderie! Enough about me...

I just scored a somewhat jacked up '95' A2RS. Totally original right down to the tires. Anybody know if Barracuda did factory upgrades? I bought mine from the original owner who bought it at a bike shop in 1995. It came with the Manitou Comp. The info on this site shows a Rock Shox Quadra...

Cool bike! The frame has an unfortunate dent in the top tub dead center on the right side. During a crash the bars came around hard and the deed was done... It was suggested to me that a body shop could repair it with a slide hammer. Not sure how that would work without drilling a hole in the frame..... glue maybe?

Anyways I actually am quite happy to be a member of the Barracuda owners club!

The link below will take you to some picture as it sits right now, untouched on my work stand. I'll start the tear down and cleaning in a few days; should be fun... Let me know what you think about the dent. Should I try to fix it or just hunt down another frame...?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1043955002 ... -W-l46C3AE

Cheers!
Attachments
SAM_0976.jpg
SAM_0976.jpg (93.61 KiB) Viewed 9694 times
Last edited by fliier@cebridge.net on January 28th, 2012, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mixalive

Re: A little jacked up but I like it..... '95' A2RS

Post by mixalive »

Looks like a great battle scar to me.. :mrgreen:
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

fliier@cebridge.net

It is indeed...! :lol:

Now locked in a pitched internal battle between the forces of good :D which seek perfection, and the forces of evil :twisted: who say "f%#k it".....

The body shop owner says he can get it out, mostly, but that will require grinding through the paint and welding a pull rod to the dent... Then re-powder coating... Fabricating new decals... etc.

Be twice what I paid for the whole thing to make it look like new.

Maybe just look for a new frame...?

What to do...? :?

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ctk »

Cool bike, my advice: Just ride it as it is- I don't think the dent is terminal- or at least it doesn't look like it in your picture. If your not happy riding it I would look for a new frame or bike.

If you want to repair it I think the best option would be to have the whole top tube replaced by a proper bike frame builder. I reckon it would cost about $150?

I think any messing around trying to push the dent out would weaken rather than strengthen the frame- but I am no expert!

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I totally agree with ctk.

fliier@cebridge.net

Thanks for the sound advice! I agree, that's exactly what I intend to do... Just ride it.

I'm really not too worried about ruining/weakening the frame by pulling the dent. The way it's done is pretty simple. The body shop has what is essentially a specially designed stick welder. They intentionally weld the stick directly to the dent, then use a lever arm which is designed to apply lifting force to the rod welded to the dent. I don't think it would be a perfect repair, some filling would be needed to get it completely smooth. Then a re-powder coat... new decals... You get the picture, just doesn't make financial sense.

These steel framed Barracudas sell for $2-3 hundred on CL, just not worth a big investment. I was able to partially lift the dent by putting the tube in my work stand and giving it a little "squeeze". Not recommended, but it did work in part. I'll finish cleaning and polishing, build it back up, maybe with some better parts that I have in the shop, and have a little fun... :D

I'll also keep an eye out for a replacement frame...

Thanks again!

Update: I've almost finished with the clean and polish. Must say things are looking good. Probably get it back together and ridable this week... with a different fork. The Manitou Comp looks awesome, but the elastomers are gone. I'm still trying to decide if I should replace them with same. or use a spring kit. Any suggestions...?

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Welcome to the site! It's always good to see enthusiasm about these great bikes!

That dent... I had a small dent removed (same place and same size) from a frame that was made from Reynolds 853 tubing. My buddy owns a body shop and his cosmetic guy massaged the dent using paintless dent removal tools and techniques. I'm sure there is a shop near you in the Dallas area that does this same procedure. My buddy doesn't do a "good guy" price, he's a mean bastard like me, but I still only paid $20.00 to have the dent taken out from the inside. If you didn't know there was a dent there prior, you'd never be able to tell. It was a great solution, no messing up the paint and no torching the frame.

Here is a link to Jeff, he is ubber famous for his work on Overhaulin' and on Chip Foose's cars.

http://www.beachcitiespdr.com/

As far as that Manitou Comp, I think the owner may have upgraded at the time of purchase. That Comp was only made one year, 1994, and cost a wallet busting $419.00 when purchased as an upgrade. Otherwise, the retail price was $499.00 for the fork by itself. I recently installed one on my 1991 Koga Miyata that I was rebuilding. I rebuilt the internals with Wings suspension springs, here is link:

http://wings-suspension.com/index.html

That's is the second Manitou that I've rebuilt using those springs, they work well and are an inexpensive way to breathe new life into a tired fork. Mixalive also redid his Manitou with a Wings kit, he might want to weigh in on his experience.

Congrats on the purchase... good luck with getting it polished and trail ready... we love pictures so add some once done or snap off a couple on your maiden voyage. Welcome to the family!!!

-D-

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

The wings kit works, but you still need to replace the rebound(3rd stage) elastomers and second stage elastomers. http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/esho ... ductId=110
http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/esho ... ductId=111
Here is a manual: http://suspensionforkparts.net/manitou4_mag_comp.php
If you are not sure how to take that fork apart, don't force it.. Just ask us and we will walk you through it.. :mrgreen: