Hello from Connecticut via England

Come on in and say hello. You'd be surprised at how many like-minded individuals are out there!
mixalive

Re: Hello from Connecticut via England

Post by mixalive »

That's what she said.. :ugeek:
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Talk about CREEPY.....what is going on here, Mix use to play good cop while Neo was REAL bad cop, but now things have changed.... :?
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I'm Gemini..

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Hahha....Good comeback, but knowing a few musicians and their attitude I had a feeling you were playing nice cop !

expatevo

Post by expatevo »

OK, now I am confused, as well as having to admit my memory is going with old age. First i must have bought the bike in 06, which is strange as that's the year i came to the USA and i thought I had the bike for a year before shipping it (Need to find the invoice to confirm).

Now, I've found the original brochure which appears to be 1996 version and doesn't list any of the models sold in the US, however, as i posted earlier the manual that came with the bike was from Barracuda USA. If i compare the specs to the 95 US catalogue on the website, my Santiago appears to be very close to the A2M of that year.

Perhaps one of the previous employees could shed some light on the history??
Attachments
1996 Barra 1_Page_1sm.jpg
1996 Barra 1_Page_1sm.jpg (55.19 KiB) Viewed 12952 times
1996 Barra 1_Page_2sm.jpg
1996 Barra 1_Page_2sm.jpg (83.09 KiB) Viewed 12952 times
1996 Barra 1_Page_3sm.jpg
1996 Barra 1_Page_3sm.jpg (96.69 KiB) Viewed 12952 times
1996 Barra 1_Page_4sm.jpg
1996 Barra 1_Page_4sm.jpg (94.21 KiB) Viewed 12952 times

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

No testimony from former employees needed.

This bike did not come out of the Barracuda Bicycle Company of Durango, Colorado, USA. No if's, and's or but's about it. First inclination is that we have catalogs from Barracuda and their 1994 line. Second, is that the dates in the story here don't match up.

This is why documentation is a MUST, everyone. Memory might have said 1994 to our friend here, but in reality, after a little digging, it was likely 1996. And the contact numbers on the brochure aren't USA numbers; they're european. Despite this company having a "friendly" name of Barracuda, the company name is actually "Moore Lorge & Co Ltd".

Gosh, I feel like I'm breaking bad news to a guest on the Antiques Roadshow. ;)

I won't go out on a limb and take a stab at guessing the history on THIS company and it's bikes - because I just don't need to and I'll likely be incorrect and I'd rather state the facts as I know them.

;)

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Yep, I notice that on the catalogue but ran out of time and had to leave work before I could post blow ups of the key parts...Sorry for the news.

expatevo

Post by expatevo »

Mark wrote:No testimony from former employees needed.

This bike did not come out of the Barracuda Bicycle Company of Durango, Colorado, USA. No if's, and's or but's about it. First inclination is that we have catalogs from Barracuda and their 1994 line. Second, is that the dates in the story here don't match up.

This is why documentation is a MUST, everyone. Memory might have said 1994 to our friend here, but in reality, after a little digging, it was likely 1996. And the contact numbers on the brochure aren't USA numbers; they're european. Despite this company having a "friendly" name of Barracuda, the company name is actually "Moore Lorge & Co Ltd".

Gosh, I feel like I'm breaking bad news to a guest on the Antiques Roadshow. ;)

I won't go out on a limb and take a stab at guessing the history on THIS company and it's bikes - because I just don't need to and I'll likely be incorrect and I'd rather state the facts as I know them.

;)

Mark,

Moore Large and Co Ltd, are just distributors and the sales catalogue is just that and is designed for the UK, the thing I find strange is the bike came with the instruction manual as posted?? The years I gave originally were from memory and weren't meant to be any sort of claim, I was just trying to find out the history of the bike that was all.

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Oh, please don't take my comments in a negative way; not intended as such and I'm certain you weren't making absolute claims. No harm, no foul.

The perplexing items in this discussion are (in my opinion):
- The use of dihedral top tube.
- The fact that you received a manual from the BBC of Durango.

We're talking 1996 here, so it's possible (we'd have to do a lot of digging) that Ross licensed out the name Barracuda for use. I don't believe that there were any patents held regarding dihedral tubing, so I'm sure anyone could have produced a bike with that type of tube easily without much fuss at all. But if Ross licensed out the name, why wouldn't they also allow for the brand (decals, paint scheme, etc) go with that? Seems odd to allow others to call their bikes "Barracudas" and let them come up with something completely different regarding the look and feel of the bike. After all, Ross made a Barracuda line in 1996, so why would they allow for competition to use the same name? Doesn't seem to fit in my head.

It's my belief that the retailer you bought your bike from, simply tossed in a manual from the "other" Barracuda. This fits, because I believe the stems used (and I think they're referenced in the manual) were the flip-flop kind which could be reversed for a lower (or higher) rise. Your stem is not likely one of this type. Kind of proves that the two items (the bike and the manual) don't belong with each other.

So I'm 99% positive the two companies and their bikes are completely unrelated, but there is always a nagging 1% which won't go away.. I'm game to keep looking at this if someone wants to pick this one up.. :)

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

But an interesting topic.. :ugeek: