urt bikes?

News, gossip, information about the Barracuda Bicycle Company of Durango, Colorado.
scottmartin49

urt bikes?

Post by scottmartin49 »

Were these built by catamount for 'cuda? Even the completely cr-mo frames?

Mark
Founder
Founder

Re: urt bikes?

Post by Mark »

Are you referring to the later full suspension models, like the one pictured below?

scottmartin49

Post by scottmartin49 »

Yes. I understand that the Al frames with the square tube swingarms were built by Catamount for 'cuda, but haven't found anything for the Cr-Mo frames which, in my case have a round cr-mo tube swingarm as well. (8lbs., 5oz. complete w/o shock :lol: )

The build quality is not too bad, and it has a "made in the usa" sticker on the chainstay so I was wondering....

Going to build it up as a SS-69er with a 1.5" x 6.5" rear shock. (Clyde bike)

Scott

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Well, it definitely wasn't a bike made when Dave and Jon were running things; it's a bike that was produced by Ross. Ross bikes are also known by the "Made in the USA - of foreign and domestic parts" sticker..

scottmartin49

Post by scottmartin49 »

Sticker definitely says "Made in he USA"- nothing about foreign parts. Sorry if i've violated the "No Ross bikes" order- didn't get the memo.

Hasta

ctk
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ctk »

Sounds like an interesting build there was one on German Ebay recently which was thinking of picking up. My thinking was the same as you- ideal as a singlespeed.
Get some pics up.

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

LOL

This is definitely a club where Ross-made Barracudas are welcome and encouraged. I mean hey, who cares who build the thing, so long as it was based on an intelligent and trusted design, right? If that bike was a catamount concept, even built by them, you've got a gem. :)

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Check this thing out...

I came across this on RideMonkey, I was searching for info on Dave Southwell and this thing popped. Here's what info is listed with the posting:

"And even stranger still..... What do you get when you mix some steel tubing, an old KX80 fork, a Trek TC3 swingarm and a Progressive Suspension pull shock from a Schwinn/Buell- downhill racing Barracuda style!

What's even more strange is that one of the owners of Barracuda Dave Southwell showed me another bike that had the pivot high up at the seat tube junction (think Slingshot) and had the same pull shock attached to welded in clevises in the downtube- a very scary URT design."

Mark, have you seen this before? Anyone else? Did anyone see this at Mammoth or any of the other NORBA downhill events?

I dig the motorcycle forks off an old Kawi, a very funky design!

-D-

p.s. Pretty cool thread, loads of early (scary) full suspension designs:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showth ... 08&page=26

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Yep, I ran across this pic a while back, same place.

It is a very scary design, but it's just a Frankenstein prototype anyhow. I would never, ever take that thing down even a shallow grade driveway. :)

jbsteven

Post by jbsteven »

that looks like a A2Fast front triangle that has been modified. I had one of those (A2Fast).....cool frames.