Why Dos Equis?

News, gossip, information about the Barracuda Bicycle Company of Durango, Colorado.
Hergules
Alumni
Alumni

Why Dos Equis?

Post by Hergules »

Before there was a "most interesting man in the world", there was mountain biking.

I've seen a number of people post questions about how & why Dos Equis Beer ended up sponsoring the Barracuda Racing Team... It's actually pretty simple.
Back in 1993, Dave Southwell was sending sponsor packages to everyone under the sun trying to find a title sponsor for his new company's pro MTB racing team. I had just become the Dos Equis Marketing Director when the proposal landed on my desk. I was looking for a new marketing vehicle to use to promote the brand and we didn't have a huge marketing budget. (Important story point: I was also just making the transition from road cycling to mountain biking. Make a note... if you're looking for sponsorship, you need to find the guy in the company who's a cycling fanatic). Anyway, the timing was perfect and I convinced my VP that mountain biking could provide a strong & unique new image for XX and before you could say "stay thirsty my friend", the Dos Equis Barracuda Pro Mountain Bike Racing Team was born.

I've got a lot of stories from that first year that I'll post here eventually. Suffice it to say that the team (and the sponsors) had a blast in 1993.. Anyone remember Cactus Cup?
My Rides:
1993 A2X (14"), A2L (14")
1994 A2T (16"), A2X (16"), A2R (16")
1995 XX Team (14")

neo_pop_71

Re: Why Dos Equis?

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hergules wrote:I've got a lot of stories from that first year that I'll post here eventually. Suffice it to say that the team (and the sponsors) had a blast in 1993.. Anyone remember Cactus Cup?

Now that's a great story and the promise of more stories to come... glad to have you onboard!

I went to Cactus Cup and Sea Otter a few times, many dusty and/or soggy miles logged with almost as many brews... coffee and beer depending on the time of day usually but not always (beer and eggs or coffee and S'mores)... great time riding with friends while we listened to Grunge (and Punk) music!!!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Why Dos Equis?

Post by vpc66 »

Glad he join the group, have a feeling some good reading will come with future post!
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane