Ditched the Chopper Front End

A forum to showcase your Barracudas.
willywill

Ditched the Chopper Front End

Post by willywill »

Just wanted to update you guys that I finally sourced some sweet Mavic 221 (gold) rims and Deore LX cantis, fixed my vintage 7 speed XT 1st gen shifter/brake levers, and installed a Rock Shox Mag21 on the XX.

I must say the ride is better. Mark was quite astute in his comparison of cruising no hands with a short vs long travel fork. Much easier with the Mag 21.

I took her out on the trails Monday for the first time (riding to work doesn't tell too much about performance) and was pleasantly surprised. While the front end is not as plush, the riding position certainly is more comfortable so the net benefit (in terms of comfort) was definetly positive. The only thing I don't like is not having the hyrdraulic discs. The canti's have plenty of stopping power but not with the light touch of one finger... :shock:

The new front end is way more responsive, even a bit twitchy, but I am sure I will get used to it, just like I got used to the previous one. As far as looks go, I like it alot...no longer is she trying to be something she is not.

Tuning up the cantis gave me a renewed appreciation for being a bike mechanic. What a pain in the bum...slapping on a set of discs sure is easier!

I will get some pics up ASAP :mrgreen:

I forgot to mention, I was able to score an old Manitou EFC (like the one on Marks's Eric Carter Tribute) off EBay for $50. It is good shape and has really smooth travel. I am thinking about swaping it out since I also just picked up a cool GT Karakoram frame (the first real mountain bike I ever owned). I think the Mag21 would look better on the GT, especially since the Manitou has some of the same coloring as the XX...

What do you guys think? The Mag 21 is good performer, even with todays technology..Roch Shox was ahead of the game when they built that fork.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Ditched the Chopper Front End

Post by vpc66 »

GREAT...can not wait to see pictures,should do a before and after set up so we can see the pictures together. As far as the brakes go and I know you just set up different brakes but if you get to where they bother you try a set of Avid brakes...I know with mine it only takes a single finger to stop the bike easy.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

You wouldn't think it would be much different, but it really is.

The diff between me riding the Manitou EFC and the 3 is night and day, yet it's not a huge difference in travel between the two.

Just comes down to what the frame is made for. :)

willywill

Post by willywill »

Here are the pics, before and after.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Looking good .... and the parts you took off can go to a later frame that takes long travel and disc brakes if you pick one up,that way you can have your new ride along with a vintage setup...a win win setup
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the old Mag series forks. Wish list? The Mag21 SL Ti. ;)

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I think the difference has a lot to do with rake angle. The taller the fork, the more effective rake angle. The newer bikes are designed with a rake angle that complements the standard travel fork of the day. Which these days is a pretty long travel. Captain America's Easy Rider Harley had an increased rake angle added to the frame and extended fork tubes. They say it steered like crap. Basically, the front wheel wanted to flop to one side when the handlebars were not held.
Attachments
Harley_Captain_America_Chopper.jpg
Harley_Captain_America_Chopper.jpg (28.56 KiB) Viewed 7571 times
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis