1995 A2V

A forum to showcase your Barracudas.
SteelIsReal

1995 A2V

Post by SteelIsReal »

Hello Gents,

First, I'd like to say thanks for creating and maintaining the site - it's great to see all the other Barracuda fans out there!

Second, some history on the bike...

I am the original owner. I don't know the exact mileage because I didn't always use a computer (and changed computers etc.) but it has probably has about 7,000 miles on it. All the parts are original except the seat (Selle Italia Flite), tires (currently Conti Explorer), chain (SRAM), and pedals (Deore XT). I rode it pretty regularly for about 5 or 6 years, when I also started riding on the road and split time between the bikes.

After getting hit by a car on the road in 2001, I didn't ride for about a year and then got a cyclocross bike to ride on all of the crushed limestone paths in my area. I got married, had kids, and left the bikes sitting for a number of years. I had stopped riding the Cuda at some point because the Mag 21 would no longer hold air.

This past fall I had a strong urge to start riding again. It was time to fix up the bikes...so I had to find a replacement fork for the A2V that would preserve the geometry that makes old Barracudas so special. I found a rigid fork online - Gusset Jury SL, 405mm a-c and 1.5" rake - which is almost an exact match for the old Mag 21.

Needless to say, I can't wait for spring to arrive so I can get out on some singletrack in the warm air. It's been too long, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Forgive me for rambling on, here's the good stuff (before and after). The pics are not great but hope you enjoy.

Best regards

Jim

Before and After
Before and After
BeforeAndAfter.jpg (156.48 KiB) Viewed 7824 times

SteelIsReal

Re: 1995 A2V

Post by SteelIsReal »

Bigger pic.

1995 A2V
1995 A2V
WP_000236.jpg (476.48 KiB) Viewed 7822 times

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Nice ride,went rigid it looks like?
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

SteelIsReal

Post by SteelIsReal »

Thanks! It is a prized possession - many good memories.

Yes, I had to go with rigid in order to preserve the original geometry of the bike.

The RockShox Mag 21 that came on it was either 48mm travel (standard) or 63mm travel (with the long travel conversion installed). The axle-to-crown measurement on modern suspension forks, even 80 - 100 mm, is too long for the frame IMO.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

There are forks that are from a later era than the frame that will run 63mm travel such as the Sid forks on my bike...you can adjust them from 63 to 80....I run them on 80 which makes my bike just a tad twitchy but not to bad. Then again could always find period forks in the future if you change mind about the rigid...no matter what NICE looking bike
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hello Steel-

Welcome to the family! Always nice to see a new Cudahead, especially an original owner!

As Vinny said, there are forks available, I'm a big fan of the White Brothers SC70 and SC72 forks. They are affordable, no specialty parts, all o-rings and such that can be found at your local hardware store. White Brothers moved from near me in SoCal to Colorado and they do still service their forks, you can call up and speak directly to the suspension tech. I've run both forks on my Cudas and both perform beautifully with no steering or control issues.