Hi - new member

Come on in and say hello. You'd be surprised at how many like-minded individuals are out there!
rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Hi - new member

Post by rbonif »

Hi all, my name is Ron and I live in NYC. No crazy stories about my opressed mtb childhood. My story here is me and my GF got into MTB earlier this year...my main trail bike is a Jamis Durango 2 (leftover stock from 2012) which I feel is perfect for my single track XC needs.

Well I was looking for a knock around city bike and found a 1993 A2E near my apartment for $80. It needed some fine tuning but was a true survivor (other than v brakes on the front from a change to a rigid fork). I have always been a DIY guy and used to work in an auto body shop when I was in highschool. This bike gave me the chance to get my hands dirty and after doing some research I came across this site. the A2E is pretty much running great now and I put a Manitou Spyder fork just for looks.

Well now my jealous gf was envious of my Cuda as she had a Trek 300 Navigator for her city bike (her MTB bike is...I should say was, a Trek 820). I picked her up a 16 inch A2R for $140 (it is a Ross 1998 though but she doesn't know the diff). Well she absolutely loves it and the Navigator is sold and her 820 is now the city bike and the Cuda is her MTB trail bike.

Oh by the way I was the one who bought the A2L frame on ebay...sorry if I outbid other members. I will post bikes of my rebuild as I plan on keeping it period correct. I picked up Deore LX drivetrain and Judy XC 60mm fork. I am having a hard time finding handlebars and seatposts so I may put the originals from my A2E...not sure yet.

Anyway I will post pics in the near future....sorry for the long winded intro but thanks for having me here and I look forward chatting more.

Best,
Ron

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Hi - new member

Post by vpc66 »

So you are the tall person, GLAD to have you here among the Cuda Heads. At the beginning of your intro I had the feeling you weren't a die hard Cuda fan but after the first one bought to be a beater you grab two more....that screams loud CUDA HEAD. By the way I love my Ross era Cuda, the braze on's work out nicer with V-brakes, but one day I would like to pick up a early steel frame to make a single speed out of it. As said GLAD to have you and hope to hear from you much more...enjoy the Cuda build and the rolling ones as well !
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Welcome Ron,

Nice to have you in the family!

As the owner of an A2L that has seen many different builds, let me just come right out and say that your A2E is a far superior bike and deserves your attention. The A2E frame double butted Tange Prestige, the same as a Specialized Stumpjumper or a Nishiki Alien, easily twice the tube set of double butted Tange MTB. As far as your Cudas go, the A2E should be your trail bike. There is a reason why that frame cost an additional $500.00 more than the A2L when new. Just something to consider.

Again welcome and congrats on the win!

-D-

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

You should google a lot of what Neo (Don) said above, it's some good reading. Welcome, and I apologize in advance for what you may come across here. :o

rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by rbonif »

Thanks for the advice...I think I may follow it! Although I am unsure how the Manitou Spdyder fork and stock STX components will feel on the trial. Oh well time to pillage the girlfriend's ebay account again and upgrade.

rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by rbonif »

I more question...(well probably not as I am sure I will have more) but in your opinion if my budget for a fork is around $100 would I be better off buying a new low end Suntour or RST with 60-80mm travel or a vintage Judy, Mag 21 (or others from that period).

I am leaning towards the vintage ones for the nostalgia but not sure if the a newer one would handle so much better.

Thanks
Ron

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

For the money you might find a nicer vintage fork than the RST or Suntour, plus these frames were made to run less travel than what you find in new forks. You stated that you were a DIY person because the odds are you would need to do a rebuild but there are guys here that will steer you in the right direction

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

vpc66 wrote:For the money you might find a nicer vintage fork than the RST or Suntour, plus these frames were made to run less travel than what you find in new forks. You stated that you were a DIY person because the odds are you would need to do a rebuild but there are guys here that will steer you in the right direction

+1 Agreed! Vinny is right, stay away from the new stuff with too much travel, plus all the new stuff under $250 is junk. Something like a White Brother UL72 (what's on my A2L in Members Bikes), Rock Shox Judy XC, Marz Bomber, or Manitou SX fork will be generally period correct and out perform anything new without blowin' up your wallet.

Here are a couple near you:

($55) Vintage DS2, race level air fork with Switchblade fork crown off a 1992 Trek 990, lugged True Temper OX II frame (top-of-the-line American made), air seals are still good... this would be first choice, cost $699 new, I'd paint the fork legs to match the Cuda frame... just like the pros that ran DS2s!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/4092737897.html

($40) R.S. Judy XC, needs fork oil but that's easy and the seals are good

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/4093146305.html

Good luck!

-D-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

That Ds2 does not state how long the steer tube is so you would need to ask plus they wrote it is a threaded steerer so if you plan on a threadless it might not work unless it is so long you could cut that part off. I Even if you want the threaded you would still need to check the length that you need. The only way you could go a little newer is with a fork like mine where you can adjust the travel somewhat, mine can do 63 to 80 mm travel .
Last edited by vpc66 on October 3rd, 2013, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbonif
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by rbonif »

thanks I will check out the one in Williamsburg.

This is the one I bought for my bike but I ended up putting it on the GF's cuda and will prolly leave it on for her.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370892493060?ss ... 150wt_1200

This is the one I bought for the A2E and was purely for aesthetic reasons (since I intended as a street bike) as I was incorporating a black and yellow color scheme. This is the one I am having doubts on the performance but will take her to Cunningham Park in Queens this weekend and see if I need an upgrade which I suspect I will.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300967833934?ss ... _36wt_1200